• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Game - A world in darkness

Ghostknight

First Post
I am new here to EnWorld and PbP but I have been RPGing for 25 years.

So, if you don't mind my lack of familiarity with this medium, come join in this game.

It is going to be based on a homebrew campaign set-up Iam working on so details will be works in progress.

The background is as follows:

A tribe of kobolds, now known as the devil-kin mutated over time to be able to summon devils. The more of them in a group, the more powerful the devil summoned. This ability was discovered at a tribal meeting - and the devil summoned a duke Julieal the Horned Assasin

Knowing the value of the tribe he had just been summoned by, Julieal took command and set about building them up. His first move was to move them away from civilisation, into country that was isolated and far from any civilised interference. The next step was to discover the extent of the tribes powers, catalogue them, and go about summoning an army. He was patient. It took close to five hundred years but eventually he had an army that was unstoppable, increased personal power to the point he was ready to challenge one of the Arch Devils, and the tribe of kobolds obedient to his will.

The world shook. Nations tumbled. Races were wiped out and new fiendish ones imported. A new order stood, Julieal ruled the world as any Arch Devil rules their layer of hell.

The effects have been dramatic, to date there has been 1789 years of fiendish rule- virtually all elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings and faeries. Have been wiped out. The last unicorn sited was millenium ago as have numerous other good aligned creatures been driven to extinction. Opposition exists, there are hidden communities, living in fear, that sit outside of the established order. Most of these are peopled by majorities of humans, although most include a scattering of the previous races of free people. There is also a very high incidence of Teiflings (about 10% of the population), for obvious reasons,and a smaller incidence of Aasimer (under 0.001% of population), results of past attempts by celestials to descend and help.

The only two major population centers that remain free are dwarven centers, with large quantities of elves within. These two cities (Fort Heldrun and Forge of Lathar) are suspected to each house an avatar of the Earth deity, thus ensuring their survival. Both these cities are continuously under siege and getting in or out is a major undertaking.

Some Gaming Notes

Characters are created using the points buy system in the DMG with 32 points. Starting effective level is 3rd. For the purposes of character creation the following books may be used - Core books, Forgotten Realms Campaign setting (for details of Aasimer and Tiefling other details are not relevant although some of the regional feats may be allowed on a selective basis), Savage species (feel free to play any monstrous PC, lets face it, everyone is buggered) and the Book of Exalted Deeds (No book of Vile Darkness, it just does not seem to have been imported into South Africa for some unknown reason.)

In starting characters gold value is the value from the DMG for third level characters. However, no one item may be more than a third of this amount.

For Clerics and others needing deities the cosmology is as follows:

The deities are all manifestations of one of five elements:
Earth
Fire
Water
Air
Void

Each element is available to worshippers of any alignment, sometimes your worst enemy is a cleric of the same faith!

The domains available are generally dictated by the bias of the cleric although the following are forbidden for each element

Earth – Air, Death, Fire, Water, Magic
Fire – Earth, Air, Water, Luck, Magic
Water – Air, Earth, Fire, Sun, Magic
Air – Earth, Fire, Water, Trickery, Magic
Void – Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Evil, Good, Law, Chaos

The astute will notice that magic is the sole domain of the Void, while the void tries to avoid polarisation to the elements or Evil/Good, Law/Chaos. The other elemental deities try to restrict worshippers to them and do not grant spells from other deities.

The Earth deity sees the dead as bringing unwanted elements with them, as all y creatures eventually die it sees no need to hasten the process. For this reason many clerics of the earth deity take the healing domain, even evil ones, to try and slow the pollution of the earth.

The Fire deity is generally seen as one of creation and destruction and thus followed by many artificers and crafters. However, in the view of many the Fire god is too reliant on having the correct tools and thus cannot access the Luck domain.

The Water deity is often seen as being the hidden element bringing life. Water need not be visible to sustain life yet without it all die. The sun is believed to be a drinker of water, removing it from the surface and thus the Sun domain spells are forbidden.

The air deity is visible, nothing within him hidden, one can see through him and see that there are no tricks to be played. Due to this belief the Air deity attracts the largest percentage of “honourable” people of all alignments.

So any interested parties, please let me know

Last edited:

PugioilAudacio

First Post
Fangor the Fierce said:
I would like to try this out. I would like to try out a 2nd Level Barbarian/1st Level Rogue. His name would be Maligor Haughtny. What do you think?

Sounds interesting. I would like to try and participate in this. I don't have any FR stuff though. Can you give any details as to what/where/how we'll be starting?

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
PugioilAudacio said:
Sounds interesting. I would like to try and participate in this. I don't have any FR stuff though. Can you give any details as to what/where/how we'll be starting?

I also don't have the Forgotten Realms book, but I should be able to get along without it, right?

Jemal

Adventurer
Looks like I'ld really enjoy a game like this, Glad you posted the link in talking the talk.. The mods'll move it soon, but until then I can get in before it fills up.. hehe.

Anyways, is it using 3.0 or 3.5 rules? I'm assuming 3.0 since you're also using Forgotten Realms stuff.

BTW, since it's not the 'Forgotten Realms' world (Or at least judging by the dieties, etc, doesn't SEEM to be..) Are you keeping the 'region/territory' restriction on some of the feats? (IE the 'can't take this feat unless your a Human from X place restriction)

Also, are we rolling our HP, or is there some 'avg' we'll be taking?

Ghostknight

First Post
Created new thread

I have created a new thread in Talking the talk forum.

Here is the link. I will post answers to the queries raised there.

So far we have four players. I will take a couple more and then close recruitment and will just list alteranates

Fangor: Sounds Fine

PugioilAudacio: Don't worry about the FR stuff. I only listed it because I am pulling the stats for the Aasimer and Tiefling from there. A couple of the regional feats also fit in but nothing major in terms of game mechanics. The rest of the book is ignored. So I am talking about maybe four or five pages, at this point it looks like I will be the only one using them for my development (evil DM thought - players without reference material :cool: )

Jemal: Nope 3.5. For the notes on FR look above. The little bit that I am taking does not need conversion to 3.5. Also, no regional restrictions on feats but if you want a specific feat from the FR book let me know what it is first.

A quick list of included feats is:

Artist (+2 bonus perform checks and to one craft skill of your choice)
Blooded (+2 initiative, +2 on spot)
Bloodline of fire (1st level only, +4 bonus on save vs Fire, +2 DC to sorcerer spells with fire descriptor)
Daylight adaptation (Removes daylight penaties if you are a race with such penalties e.g. Drow)
Imporved Familiar (see book for details)
Innate Spell (Pre: Quicken Spell, Silent Spell, Still Spell. Effect: Cast spell as innate ability. Spell is cast once per round as a spell like ability. Uses a slot eight levels above spell level. XP cost per spell paid if necessary, focus not needed, negligble cost material component not needed.)
Luck of heroes (+1 bonus on all saving throws)
Magical Artisan (Pre: Any item creation feat. Effect: 75% cost in XP and raw materials for one item creation feat. May be taken multiple times for additional item creation feats.)
Resist poison (take at 1st level only, +4 Fort save vs poison)
Signature Spell (Pre: Spell Mastery. Effect: Choose a spell that you have spell mastery. Can convert other spells of that level into that spell as cleric does with cure spells)
Snake blood (Yuan Ti blood with no visible signs. 1st level only. +2 Fort save vs poison, +1 bonus on reflex saves)
Stealthy (+2 bonus on hide and move silently checks)
Strong Soul (+1 bonus on Fort and Will saves and an additional +1 bonus vs energy draining and death effects.)
Survivor (+1 bonus on fortitude saves and +2 bonus on Wilderness lore checks).

As for hit points - take max to third level. Thereafter the die result below plus con modifier i.e for d4 - 3, d6 - 4, d8 - 6, d10 - 8, d12 - 10

Remove ads