• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Player trying to build a character

Mattheus

First Post
Hi everyone,

I've just stumbled across D&D for the first time and am looking to get involved in a game or 2 online to start with. My problem is that I am finding the Players Handbook quite hard to jump around from Class to Race to Equipment and the like while trying to design a character. What is the easiest way to do this and what is the best build for a newbie like me? Was thinking a Fighter or something that just goes in and bashes at things without too much thinking about it, Not interested in anything magical at this stage. Playing 5e at this stage.

Thanks and apologies if there is something similar already posted.

Voort

Explorer
Your best bet for simplified fighter is to go with the Champion archetype. No extra moving parts, just critical hit & survival boosts.

I'd recommend taking a look at pathguy's character builder { http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm } to get a better idea of character creation steps.

Rickerdoo

First Post
I would recommend a fighter. They are an easier class to play and Champion is easy, though I really like Battle master. Here is the steps I go through to make a character.

1. Pick your class
2. Pick your race
3. Pick your background, think of your characters history how ever indepth you want to go.
4. Stats,
5. Add race info.
6. Add your background info to your character sheet.
7 add your class info.
8. Use standard equipment, and make your picks from your class.
9. Have fun!!!

Last edited:

Remove ads