• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

'New' Vancian Magic

ggboostrom

First Post
I've always liked the fluff of spell preparation. Spells take a long time to cast, but if you prepare a spell beforehand, you can basically finish casting it quickly during combat. I could easily see a wizard that can't have a lot of spells prepared at a time, but who can prepare spells multiple times in a day.

This works well conceptually, but some spells would seriously impact the game if they could be cast more than once or twice per day.
A Possible Solution

The wizard has a number of spell slots equal to his level. Preparing a spell requires a number of slots equal to the spell's level and takes an amount of time noted in the spell's description.

Some spells, such as Burning Hands or Elemental Weapon take only a couple of rounds to prepare. Others, like Fireball or Tenser's Floating Disk take minutes, while powerful spells like Wish or Power Word Kill might take days or weeks.

I like this idea!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads