Non-stereotypical versions of PHB races

Tetsubo

First Post
May I suggest looking at the Dawnforge setting. It has a fairly fresh look at fantasy races during the Golden Age of the world...

One of the things I loved about Dark Sun Halflings was their use of biotech. I've always wanted to see a conversion of that from 2e to 3.5... I'm just far to lazy to do it myself...

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
I'm waiting to see if Races of Anasolon has anything new in it...

How about entire chapters for dwarves, elves, humans, ogres, gnomes, goblins, kender, and minotaurs? And rules for kyrie, ursoi, thanoi, and centaurs? Prestige classes, alternative class features, new feats, and new magic items? Gnomish contraptions? Kender pouches?

We really went nuts with this one.

Cheers,
Cam

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Cam,

Darn you!! More money I must shovel your way. I knew before I might have to but thought I could wait until it got cheaper. But now it looks like I MUST pre-order. :p :)

AbeTheGnome

First Post
Well, I've turned the evil factor on the Dark Elves down a notch... or rather, turned up the sympathetic factor. They're basically just hedonists that have turned to demon-worship, mainly as a rebellion against their stoic, cast-based High-Elven cousins.

The High Elves turned out to be a cross between Vulcans and Githyanki (strange combination, I know) in that they strive to suppress emotions and nonconformity, and they're extremely racist and expansionistic.

Dwarves are very much akin to the post-Viking Age Scandinavian cultures- barbarians pretending to be kings, who have only recently chosen the path of trade over war.

Orcs are like any other hunter-gatherer culture whose entire subsistence is based around large herbivores. Each tribe has its own customs, and none are inherently evil, a lot like the orcs of Eberron.

Gnomes are akin to Eberron's as well, with a few personal tweaks. They've invented many useful things- spectacles, clockwork, magnetic compasses, golem submarines- but they're keeping their secrets secret.

I'm thinking about leaving halflings out altogether, but if I use them they'll probably be analogues to the Roma.

Kobolds are a pest in every major city. They eat rotten food and live in refuse pits, placing value on the trash of other races.

That was a brief rundown, but it's pretty much where I'm at now.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Nice. Sounds like it's knitting together pretty well.

I like the idea of dark elves as "basically just hedonists (. . .)" - I'm not sure why, but it appeals.

My halflings of one particular world are based on the Ghostwise, but with something akin to Wild Talent by default (unique to them). They're a bit scary, and kind of unsettling.

But then, most of the races in the that world come from some troubled history or other - a divine curse, in the case of Dwarves; suffocating isolation and loss, in the case of Elves; violation and subjugation, in the case of Halflings - which means these little guys tend towards being a wee bit angry. :uhoh:

Eh, sorry I'm rambling. Off to lunch I go. :)

tadk

Explorer
Aramax said:
In my world I replaced Hobbits(which I cant stand)w/Bandits,hobbit sized racoons
who are very curious and VERY destuctive.Natarl fur armor,plus 2 con,plus 1 dex,-2 st.

neat
got a full writeup you would share with me

Remove ads