• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPC Build - Diviner/Locater - Locate Object

evildmguy

Explorer
Okay,

I went to build an NPC wizard who runs a "find it" shop. The idea is that people who have lost things come to him and he finds them for him.

However, I am not sure the idea is workable based on the spells I saw and I think it should be. Many of the spells to find something had some pretty strict requirements, such as "been touched by caster" or "something of the item" for the caster to hold. Even Locate Object required a more detailed description. (Don't get me wrong. That makes sense but there seemed to be some wiggle room as to how detailed it must be.)

Even if those requirements are met, the other restrictions are tough as well. Locate object has a range of Long (400' + 40' / level) and if the item must be within that range, even a 20th level caster can't cover an entire major city (such as Waterdeep) with that! Does LO still point in a direction, even if the item isn't in the area of effect?

Anyway, I think I have merely failed the system and can't find what I need to do this. So, I am hoping someone here can!

My idea is this: The owner has apprentices that s/he teaches as s/he can. The owner makes money when nobles lose something and are willing to throw coin to find it. They cast the spell and tell them where the item is. My thought was this could be done from the shop but maybe the owner has to go to their place to do this? The second situation is a caravan was scheduled to arrive a few days ago and is late. One of the backers wants to send people to rescue them, if they need it. However, he needs to know where to send the rescuers. He goes to the mage to find out where they are and what their status is.

I hope this makes sense! I appreciate any help!

Have a good one! Take care!

edg

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
You could write new spells to cover what you want, taking each spell above, adding the word "Improved" in front of it (or the wizard's name, perhaps), adding just one or two minor expansions to how they work, and making them one or two levels tougher than they currently are. If someone wants to go into such a business, it's not unlikely they would develop their own spells for such a purpose.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads