WOIN (O.L.D.) Why I love O.L.D. so far!

Strider1973

Explorer
Okay, I'm reading the O.L.D. v.1.2. pdf little by little, from cover to cover, so to speak, and I've almost finished it, and, as I've already written, this is becoming one of my all time favourite fantasy roleplaying game (even if I still have some problems with Grand Elves using firearms... just joking! ;-) ).
Here's why:
1) It's basically a beautiful toolkit: you can use it to shape the fantasy setting you want to create, or even your historical setting, entirely removing or limiting magic. I really like systems that are toolkit, just like Gurps itself and Fantasy Craft. I think that O.L.D. succeds in being a very complete and very detailed system and at the same time a very fun and dinamic game to play at the table!
2) The Dice Pool Building System: I think it' very tactical and fun at the same time! I really like the possibility to influence the final result managing resources such as Luck, or reducing Attack Dice Pools to enhance the damage dealt. I really like the fact that there are not many static, numerical bonuses, and instead you gain additional d6s as you get bonuses. I really like the Capping of Dice Pools mechanic, according to the grade of characters, very fluid, simple and elegant mechanic to me, and I really like the fact that you have to increase your skills if you want to take advantage of gear of superior quality: again, great mechanic, and great idea, also from a logical and narrative point of view. Kudos!
3) The magic system: love it! Very creative, I think my players will need some time to get used to it, but it's probably the most flexible and original system I've seen so far, and, at the same time, it's very logic, consistent, and not overpowered as, in my opinion, other games' magic system, namely Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 (and also 5 ed, up to a certain extent, and Pathfinder 1).
4) The Countdowns, very thrilling as a mechanic: love it!
5) The careers: love them too, they are so flavourful, so flexible and customisable; they are very iconic, without being overpowered, again, as it happens, in my opinion, in other games. The character creation system and even the Advancement system are truly a blast!
6) It's really a One - Book - Game: in the Core Rulebook you have really all that you need to play - characters, rules, monsters, a small adventure, even hints and rules about how to create your own careers, races, organizations, worlds, creatures, and so on... Great! And the game is also very well supported on line and with Eons, the official digital magazine. And the Book is also beautifully written: it gives me the idea of a game written by and experienced gamer for gamers, as a way to share a common love. Thank you Morrus!
This game features some also of the best rules and some of the best lessons inspired by previous and other systems, and beautifully blend them to create a unique and a very original and great system: that's my opinion, so far.
Keep up the good work!
Happy life and happy gaming!

Strider1973

Explorer
Thanks to you, Morrus, for being the author of this terrific game, and also for being so active here on the forum! It's a rare privilege being able to write and discuss with an author about its creations! Again, thank you very much indeed! By the way, what do you mean with "in this negative internet age"? Just curious about it.
Thank you very much again, W.O.I.N., and O.L.D., particularly, are systems that I want to follow and support!

Strider1973

Explorer
7) The Action Economy: if I'm not wrong, way before than the Patfinder 2ed three action economy, O.L.D. two action economy is yet another clever, brilliant, logic, consisten and intuitive mechanic that seems to work perfectly well at the table!
8) The Artwork! Very flavourful, classic and original at the same time: I particularly like the pictures of armor and weapons in the equipment section - the best I've seen in a RPG System (... yet...where's the image for the studded leather armor? Did I miss it?... Just kidding of course...)! I read that someone says that weapons and amor are too heavy and cumbersome... I still have to wrap my head around it... If that will be the case also for me, I'm going to reduce their weight.
9) the way in which narrative and mechanics beautifully blend together: for instance I really like the trait and hooks mechanic!
10) Overall, the level of power of characters and game in general... It's so much more similar to classic novels, and tales, and movies we all love that many other systems, and I find the career so iconic and so rooted in folklore, history and literature...
Yes, love this game so far.... it really hits my sweetspot between crunchiness and fiction...
I'm really looking forward to running an adventure for my regular group, probably during next Christmas Holydays,... we'll see, and I'm going to write here probably the feedback after the actual gameplay!
In the meantime, happy life and happy gaming!

Strider1973

Explorer
11) The Armor System: I think it harkens back to Role master and Merp days, but I just love the idea that medium and heavy armor soak more damage but in some ways slow you down as well, reducing your defence and making you easier to hit!

Remove ads