• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OA and IA on the same enemy action ?

Istar

First Post
How would you read this.
If I had this at-will “Riposte Strike” working, and also had this feat “Repel Charge”.

I have another feat also, that on a crit pushes enemy away.
Say I hit enemy with a crit using Riposte Strike and pushed enemy away.

The enemy then charged me.

Do I get 2 attacks on him when enemy charges me:

1. Riposte Strike:
Hit – if the target attacks me after I hit him with this at-will, I get an “Immediate Interrupt” attack.

2. Repel Charge:
If enemy charges me, I get melee basic attack as an “Opportunity Action”.

So I would get both attacks.
In this situation described ?

Cheers Paul

p.s. Also as bonus question to the starter for 10.
With Repel Charge, is that OA an interrupt to the charge or a reaction to after, it doesn’t really say, but usually OA’s come before the enemy does his thing.

Will Doyle

Explorer
You can do both.

Immediate actions and opportunity actions are extremely similar, but:

Immediate actions - once per round.
Opportunity actions - once per turn, multiple times per round.

Both can trigger simultaneously.

In answer to your second question: opportunity attacks are interrupts, so they trigger before the triggering action is resolved. So, the charging enemy doesn't roll its attack if you kill it.

the Jester

Legend
You can do both.

Immediate actions and opportunity actions are extremely similar, but:

Immediate actions - once per round.
Opportunity actions - once per turn, multiple times per round.

Both can trigger simultaneously.

In answer to your second question: opportunity attacks are interrupts, so they trigger before the triggering action is resolved. So, the charging enemy doesn't roll its attack if you kill it.

I mostly agree with Will here, except that I believe that OAs are reactions, not interrupts. But IDHMBIFOM, so I could be wrong.

D'karr

Adventurer
You can do both.

Yes, and no. You can do both as long as it's not your turn. Immediate and Opportunity actions can't be used on your turn.

As an example let's say that you're fighting a creature that has a charge or a melee basic attack as a free action when they reach 0 HP.

It's your turn and you hit the creature with Riposte Strike taking the creature to 0 HP. The creature now gets to attack (MBA) you because it is at 0HP. Your Riposte Strike would not trigger because it is still your turn.

Under normal circumstances a charge does not provoke from the target of the charge. However, you have a feat that is an exception to that general rule. If a target charges at you, it will get attacked. But if it charges you on your turn you can't respond because of the same reasoning as above.

Ferghis

First Post
It's true, you can't take immediate or opportunity actions on your own turn. I'm not impressed by the design goal of that limitation, but those are the rules.

I remember the first time it was explained to me that if someone marked by an adjacent fighter made a single ranged attack against another target, the fighter would get to punish it with both an immediate interrupt AND an OA. It was bewildering.

I mostly agree with Will here, except that I believe that OAs are reactions, not interrupts. But IDHMBIFOM, so I could be wrong.
You're mistaken.
Opportunity Attack
Interrupts Target’s Action: An opportunity action takes place before the target finishes its action. After the opportunity attack, the creature resumes its action. If the target is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer by the opportunity attack, it can’t finish its action because it’s dead or dying.
Published in Player's Handbook, page(s) 290, Rules Compendium, page(s) 246.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads