• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Octopin

Bupp

Adventurer
I was digging thru my Google Drive recently, and came upon a 5e conversion of the octopin. I had done this write up in preparation of running Hall of Harsh Reflections, as part of the Age of Worms adventure path. HoHR is found in Dungeon Magazine #127. I only ran half of the adventure before starting a new campaign set in my world of Eska. Since I never ran the session, I never posted this conversion before. So here it is now!

PDF version on my blog.

octopin-the-homebrewery-page-001-2.jpg

Last edited:

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Interesting, and very similar to my own conversion done for a group I'm running through the campaign and converting to 5E as we go.

I kept more of the original mechanics of the octopin, such as seeing through two feet of wood rather than the three that is part of the typical 5E boilerplate text for x-ray vision abilities. I also specified the rend damage is additional damage on the second attack, which is useful for adjudicating effects like Uncanny Dodge. Lastly, I left the octopin immune to illusions, including invisibility, since the Invisibility spell does not have a saving throw associated with it (and thus the octopin's Penetrating Sight ability as written above wouldn't be able to see invisible creatures).

That XP total looks weird, though -- you've noted the creature as CR2, but give out less XP for defeating it (121 XP) than a bog-standard CR1 from the Monster Manual (200 XP)?

--
Pauper

Bupp

Adventurer
Interesting, and very similar to my own conversion done for a group I'm running through the campaign and converting to 5E as we go.

I kept more of the original mechanics of the octopin, such as seeing through two feet of wood rather than the three that is part of the typical 5E boilerplate text for x-ray vision abilities. I also specified the rend damage is additional damage on the second attack, which is useful for adjudicating effects like Uncanny Dodge. Lastly, I left the octopin immune to illusions, including invisibility, since the Invisibility spell does not have a saving throw associated with it (and thus the octopin's Penetrating Sight ability as written above wouldn't be able to see invisible creatures).

That XP total looks weird, though -- you've noted the creature as CR2, but give out less XP for defeating it (121 XP) than a bog-standard CR1 from the Monster Manual (200 XP)?

--
Pauper
I've found with converting things to 5e, that it's best to be consistent, so I usually just copy and paste the 5e versions of abilities if they already appear.

I don't know why I did that advantage vs. illusions and invisibility. I wrote this up years ago and recently found it. I've changed it above.

The XP is just a typo. Upon review, I've upped it to CR 3.

Remove ads