Official Board Policy Question

Sacrosanct

Legend
I need some clarification on something that appears to be official board policy since it was made by a MOD in red text.

This is what Umbran quoted me:

I don't think it matters how much of a jerk someone might be, going after someone's intelligence is going into a realm I'm not comfortable going.

And he responded with this:

Nobody is asking you to go anywhere.

But, maybe in return, you should not tell people where they should go, either. As you yourself note, this thread's been around on the order of years. You are some thousands of posts late in trying to control the nature of the discussion, such as it is.

So, if you don't like it, maybe find one of the hundreds of threads that more meet your needs.

Even ignoring the fact I wasn't telling anyone what they should do (only that we don't have moral high ground if we attack someone based on their (lack of) cognitive ability, which I didn't think was so controversial, but I guess it is), it reads to me that it's official board policy that attacking someone based on their cognitive function is OK because.....it's been going on for a while? And if we don't like seeing people attacked for their cognitive ability, we should just go elsewhere?

Ok, because if that's true, I will do just that. I do not want to be a part of a community where the community leaders support going after people based on their intelligence or lack thereof, regardless of what kind of person they happen to be.

So I'm asking for clarification on this. If it's true, please treat my account like lowkey's, and delete everything I've posted over the past 20 years here.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ok, because if that's true, I will do just that. I do not want to be a part of a community where the community leaders support going after people based on their intelligence or lack thereof, regardless of what kind of person they happen to be.

First off, we make it a practice to not publicly discuss individual acts of moderation. So, don't expect us to address specifics.

There is a spectrum, from stuff that's solidly okay, through a broad swath of stuff that's questionable, to stuff that's clearly not okay. We do not promise to act on everything in the broad swath. That's a space we apply judgement on a case-by-case basis. There's many cases in which we think a behavior isn't great, but for which we feel moderation action isn't appropriate. Thus, our inaction should not be taken as "support" in any sense, or agreement, or that we like that position, or anything.

We promise to look at reports of posts that are over the line, but we don't promise that we'll agree that moderator action is appropriate.

Remove ads