On The Dragon-War and its Aftermath (Updated 6/22: S4-1 "In The Forest Of The Night")

Zurai

First Post
Sorry for the week long delay getting this out to everyone. Part 2 will follow shortly.

-------------------------------------

Session 3 Part 1: On and On the Rain Will Fall...

Few words were spoken that day as we continued our journey to Ompan; for myself, I only spoke to take over the archery training that Aden had been giving the Princess. Bows aren’t my preferred weapons – it is hard for me to focus on distant moving objects well enough to hit them with an arrow – but I am proficient in their use. She was a fast learner and was able to hit targets at reasonable paces with reasonable speed by the end of the day.

As afternoon turned to evening, the clouds turned to black and heavy rain began to fall. Not wanting to camp for the night out in the pouring rain, I scouted ahead of the party and, after an hour or so of searching, managed to find a small cottage that appeared to be abandoned. There were some chickens in a pen nearby that had gone feral, which Bronn quickly added to his growing menagerie.

The interior of the cottage was sparse – it appeared to be a simple peasant’s cottage. One bed rested at one end of the room, there was a simple fireplace near the bed, a cupboard and a table on the opposite wall, and a threadbare rug stretched out in the center of the single room. The Princess immediately claimed the bed, to no one’s surprise. V, as usual for him, offered to stand watch all night; sleep was irrelevant for him. Since I didn’t particularly want to stay up all night sharing his watch, and no one – himself included – trusted Bronn to spare enough attention from his books to actually keep a watch, V ended up as our only sentinel.

I drifted off to sleep fairly quickly, but was startled awake a short time later as a faint humming sound spread throughout the room. The Princess was awake as well, and V was already moving to shake Bronn awake – the boy was probably reading a book in his dreams, judging by his expression when he woke up. Together we did a quick search of the room, turning up nothing. None of us could pinpoint the source of the noise, and within half a minute we had decided the best course of action would be to exit the cottage as a group and try to see if the sound was coming from outside.

No sooner did we step out of the door, however, than the interior of the cottage began to fill with an eerie green light, seemingly seeping through the cracks in the floorboards. V immediately turned and ran back into the structure, looking around for a few seconds then, with an exclamation of triumph, yanked back the rug to reveal a trap door. He called out “There’s a trap door here!” then opened it up and clambered down the stairs it revealed before anyone else had a chance to react.

“Keep an eye on the Princess!” I called to Bronn – not my sanest moment, in retrospect – and followed V into the underground passage. The humming sound was growing louder by the second now, and the light flashed to nearly white for a brief moment as I neared a corner in the tunnel. As I rounded the corner, a completely unexpected sight greeted me: here, in this chamber underneath a house in the middle of absolutely nowhere, was Gate. Not just a Gate, but an active Gate, with a battle already in progress at its foot. Two large men in heavy armor bearing the crest of the Dragon, wielding a greataxe and a falchion, were locked in combat with a group of six men; four wielding glaives, one with a shortsword and a small dagger-like weapon unfamiliar to me, and one with a longsword.

Even as I ran forward to engage the Dragon’s men, the longswordsman was injured badly, his left leg nearly severed above the knee by a brutal strike from the greataxe. When he fell, the four glaive-wielders cried out “Master!” and moved to guard him. I got in range just in time to deflect an attack that would have slain the ‘Master’, then struck out offensively, lashing my chain across the large man’s more lightly armored thighs.

“Mathis! Fall back for now!” the man with the greataxe called to the other – but his words were not heeded. Mathis snarled and struck out with his falchion, neatly eviscerating one of ‘Master’s’ defenders. The leader of the attackers then turned and tried to dive back through the still-active Gate, but left himself open to attack by doing so; it was a fatal mistake, as I dropped him to his knees with a mighty swing to the back of his legs and the skinny swordsman plunged his shortsword into the visor of the leader’s helmet. He dropped with a clatter of steel on stone, inches from the Gate. Mathis gave a strangled cry of rage, breaking off combat to pull his commander through the Gate – which remained open but opaque behind them.

The immediate threats gone, I turned around only to find the Princess already kneeling over the ‘Master’s’ body, tending to his leg wound and stopping the bleeding that had already stained the marble floor scarlet. I gave Bronn a glare for bringing her downstairs, but spared him no words for risking her life needlessly. I was curious about what exactly we had stumbled upon – the room we were in was a stark contrast to the cottage above. The floor and walls were fine marble, several comfortable beds lined the wall opposite the Gate, and in one corner of the room was what appeared to be a small forge with an unfinished, ornate sword blade glowing a dim red on the anvil.

There was no time for talk, however – the Gate was still open, which meant there was still an active threat here. I helped the Master’s apprentices bring him upstairs and out of the cottage, making sure the Princess followed me closely. We tied him to the donkey, then closed the trap door and pulled the bed and cupboard over onto it to try to keep it closed. Bronn contributed with some sort of magic that seemed to warp the wood of the door, jamming it into its frame. Preparations complete, we set out immediately from the cottage and the Gate, our party now doubled in number.

Last edited:

Zurai

First Post
Session 3 Part 2: ... Like Tears From A Star

We had barely gone a hundred feet when another green flash lit up the rainy night. Without a word said, everyone began to run at full speed – even more so when we heard, even across the distance and barriers between us, the sound of something massively heavy striking wood. There were two impacts, then another, and then the sound of a terrible roar and the splintering of wood.

Risking a glance over my shoulder towards the remains of the house, I saw a squat, reptilian creature shoulder its way out of the wreckage. Following it closely was a large man wearing what appeared to be plate armor – presumably Mathis.

We continued to run as fast and far as we could, but when I again glanced behind me, the reptilian was running after us with astounding speed. It was already halfway to us, and moving at least three times as fast as the quickest of us. The knight, on the other hand, was barely visible even to my light-sensitive eyes.

Within seconds, the thing was upon us. It raced in a broad circle around the party, taunting us with its speed. The air around its head seemed to shimmer, as if in some unbearable heat, then a much larger, more draconic head faded into view superimposed over the creature’s. This, apparantly, was Adamardith’s herald.

“Hand over Master Ferallon and the Book and I will be merciful!” the Dragon roared at us. Even as I started to yell a denial back at him, Bronn darted towards the donkey and cut the rope binding the Master, sending him sliding off over the surprised equine’s rear. “Deal!” he cried, but the Master’s apprentices, as well as myself and V, quickly moved between the Master and the Dragon.

“What are you doing?” I hissed at Bronn.

“Not fighting a Dragon!” was his only reply, as he backed off away from the impending combat. “Princess, stay back!” he added, and I groaned.

Princess?! Oho, and so I catch two birds with one stone! I wonder where you thought to take her – but there are only two choices if you were headed this direction, and I doubt the Brotherhood of Stars would take you in.*” Instantly, the creature was moving again, this time circling around us until it had a clear view of the Princess.

I, however, circled with it, placing myself between her and harm. V and the apprentices came with me, but Bronn stayed off by himself. I unwrapped my chain, setting the end spinning, and my companions similarly readied themselves for combat.

“Little worms, defy me and you will all be crushed!” the Dragon’s proxy roared at us – but I’d had enough. Combat was inevitable at this point; I’d rather fight the Dragon alone than the Dragon and the knight and whatever else came out of that Gate.

My companions seemingly had the same idea – they charged forward even as I was resolving to do just that. The three remaining glaive-wielding apprentices each jabbed at the Dragon, but their blows merely glanced off its scales. V and I charged forward as one right behind them – fortunately for us, as it turned out. The Dragon’s image reared back, and the air around the creature filled with sparks and little tendrils of lightning. Before the apprentices had a chance to react, a brilliant ring of electricity burst out from the image of the Dragon, evaporating the rain and sending arcs of energy coruscating over the apprentices. One of them managed to dive to the ground and avoid the worst of the attack, but the others took the full fury and crumpled over their glaives, smoke pouring from their blackened skin.

Stepping up into the newly-vacant positions ringing the beast, V and I lashed out with all our strength, rending its scales with oddly bloodless gashes. The remaining apprentice fled back to relative safety near the Princess, who by now had managed to string her short bow and launch an arrow at the Dragon. To her credit, it did hit; unfortunately, it failed to find purchase in its flesh, shattering against its larger upper body scales instead. I saw the Dragon shift its weight to one side and quickly dodged to the side, neatly avoiding a strike from its dagger-sized talons. My return stroke was immediate and effective, coiling around the creature’s neck, then biting into it and twisting the spine until it snapped as I whipped my hand back. The scaly beast shuddered, then crashed to the ground. V stepped forward and plunged his glowing sword into it to be sure of the kill.

While its herald was, by all appearances, dead, the image of Adamardith’s head still persisted. If anything, the Dragon looked amused.

“Well. I must admit that was an impressive little display. Seeing as I have no more resources in the area, I’m afraid this will delay my wrath. Don’t worry though, now that I know where the Princess is, I’ll be sure to put together a welcoming party for her.”

With those words, the image shimmered again, then faded away. I knew, however, that the Dragon Adamardith had been bluffing on at least one point, however – the knight Mathis was still around. Spinning in place, I spotted him in the distance between us and the now-ruined cottage; having seen the herald die, he was already turning to run. I pointed him out to V and the pair of us sped off in pursuit. We caught him almost as easily as the herald had caught us, as we weren’t burdened by the weight of a suit of plate mail.

Mathis still had a bit of fight left in him, though. He had been watching us over his shoulder, and as soon as V drew close to him, he suddenly spun around and ran at the Gateborn. Screaming “Adamardith!” he put all of his considerable weight behind his falchion and the heavy blade bit deep into V’s metal plating**. To his credit, V reacted quickly, dodging one way then another in an attempt to get behind the screaming knight. I tried to pull Mathis’ to his knees with a strike from my chain, but he dodged deftly and spun with V***, catching the alien warrior in the exact location of the first hit. The powerful blow shattered V’s armor plating and crunched through whatever passed for his innards, emerging on the other side in a spray of metal and wooden splinters****.

The violet light emanating from V’s eyes slowly faded even as I opened myself up to Korinthos and sent my full power into my next few attacks, ravaging Mathis’s exposed back and sides until he, too, collapsed to the ground. As the last light faded away, I thought I heard V say “Until... later....”, but it could have been one of Korinthos’s tricks; I had opened myself enough to him by using his power against the knight.

Not knowing what else to do, I scavenged the dead knight’s belongings, taking what was useful and leaving the rest, then dragged V’s lifeless husk back to the rest of the group, who stared in horror. I merely shook my head and glanced down at my feet – were those tears dripping down my cheeks alongside the rain drops? I had only known the Gateborn for three days now, and yet it felt like I had lost a brother.

When I looked up again, Bronn was inspecting V’s metal composition. He tapped on the armor plating, hefted one of the shards in his hand, and took out his dagger to try to scratch a mark in it. Looking up, he shook his head and said “You know, I think V’s armor was mithral*****. We should hang onto this and get some weapons or armor made from it. I think V would appreciate being able to continue fighting, even like that, more than he would being buried.”

That said, all of us except one of the Master’s apprentices (who stayed behind to guard the still-unconcious Master, just in case) dragged the bodies of the two fallen apprentices a few hundred feet away and said a short prayer for their souls before burying them. Only after our silent prayers for our honored dead were finished did we all rise and return to the site of the recent battle.

Strangely, the reptilian herald was missing; where it had been now lay the massively scarred, naked corpse of a man. A dragon-shaped helmet was attached to his head, apparantly by means of a pair of massive screws. Shuddering at the thought of the torture this unfortunate victim of the Dragon had been through, we quickly buried him as well. Even as we finished, though, a new unpleasant surprise greeted us: simultaneously from the north, south, and west, flashes of green light lit up the stormy sky and the sound of war-horns were heard.

* - Thankfully, Bronn’s player decided not to mention the artifacts we carried and the fact that no one had the slightest clue what the “Brotherhood of Stars” was. I was ready to smack him with a rolled-up newspaper for revealing that we had the Princess with us as it was.
** - A natural 20 confirmed with a 15 for ~30 damage.
*** - Failed Tumble check to move through Mathis’ square.
**** - Another natural 20 to hit followed by a natural 20 to confirm and a high damage roll, putting V at -20 something. Even minimum critical hit damage would have killed him.
***** - It was. He had taken Mithral Body at 1st level. The DM made Bronn pass an Appraise check to identify the mithral, though.

Zurai

First Post
Session 4 Part 1: In The Forest Of The Night

Given our recent experiences, we were forced to assume that the green flashes were further Gates opening, and that the war-horns were coming from units of the Dragon’s soldiers. A few seconds of frantic speculation and a short argument about where we should go – there were no lights or horns from the east, but was it a trap? – ended in the decision to simply press forward as best we could towards the dubious safety of Ompan, to the southwest. It was our hope to slip between the western and southern forces by going through the Ward Woods, then cutting across the hills as fast as we could manage.

That night was a tense, tiring affair, as we had to travel over a dozen miles through heavy rainfall in the middle of the night without having had the chance to rest for over a day. By the time we reached the edge of the forest, everyone was clearly exhausted and on edge. We made camp inside the forest sometime after midnight and set the remaining apprentices on watch, since they hadn’t been hiking cross-country all day and thus were the least fatigued. One by one we finally managed to fall asleep, and miraculously, we slept undisturbed for the first time since the Dragon invaded.

When we arose in the late morning of the next day, we took the time to become more acquainted with the Master (who was now concious again) and his apprentices. As it turned out, the Master used to be a servant of the Dragon who stole a certain book from Adamardith’s hoard and fled through a Gate to escape the Dragon’s wrath. The book, several inches thick and circular in shape, described in incredible detail how to make a special type of magical sword used by a race of beings that lived in a world beyond the Gates. By following the directions inside the book, a master smith would be able to craft one of these swords over the course of a year – without needing any magic in the process.

The Master had split his time over the last year between training apprentices as assassins to attack the Dragon and creating one of these silver swords. He had the book on a chain around his neck, but the incomplete sword had been left on the anvil back in the Master’s hideaway. Unfortunately, at this point the sword had been ruined because the Master hadn’t performed the neccesary ritual in the morning; he would have to start all over on another blade, assuming he could find another hideaway with access to a forge and all the materials he needed.

Our curiosity temporarily slated, we packed up camp and continued on our way. After a few hours of travel through the forest, we came to what appeared to be a dried out stream bed cutting through the forest. The stream bed was about ten feet deep and fifteen feet wide, and we would have to cross it in order to continue travelling in this direction. Still, a ten foot drop followed by a ten foot climb wasn’t especially strenuous, so those of us who were athletic – in other words, myself and the two remaining apprentice assassins – jumped down into the gulley and helped the others climb down safely. Bronn seemed especially eager to get to the other side, however, so he declined to wait for us to climb up and help him, instead scrambling ungracefully up the loose slope.

No sooner had he stepped off the edge of the gulley than he was struck by an arrow from somewhere in the woods – and the arrow carried a further surprise with it...

“Aughh! I’m blind!” yelled Bronn. Apparantly the arrow had been coated with a fast-acting blinding poison.

In the next few seconds, chaos erupted. Nearly a dozen hooded and cloaked figures stepped out from behind the trees they had been hiding behind and shot arrows at the party or charged forward with heavy, weighted nets. They ignored the one-legged Master, but every other person in the party was targeted by at least one arrow; the arrow with my name on it missed by a hair, and the Princess was seemingly unaffected by the poison (though she was hysterical over being hit with an arrow – she had never actually been hit in combat before this point).

One of the net-bearers charged at me and threw his net, but I was able to side-step his clumsy attack. I retaliated by planting my feet firmly on the ground, allowing me to put my full weight into a strike that sent him reeling, but didn’t drop him. Then one of the archers managed to hit me with an arrow, and the world dissolved into darkness. I could still hear the combat going on around me, and I could smell the warrior I had been fighting as he moved towards the Princess, presumably with less than honorable intentions. I lashed out once more with my chain, attempting to target him by his scent, but I hit only empty air.

Within twenty seconds, our attackers had secured all of us, although Bronn had been particularly aggravating for them; he had cast a spell to make him run faster and attempted to run away, but instead had run face-first into a tree next to one of the warriors, who had entangled him in a net. “Found one!” he called out, though no one was able to help him at the time. After a few seconds of struggling against the net, and a call for help from the warrior, Bronn managed to get free – and promptly turned and ran straight into the waiting arms of the warrior that had moved to help the first one.*

“Gather them up quickly, we have to move before the Dragon’s men arrive.” one of the unknown assailants said.

“Wait! Why are you attacking us if the Dragon is your enemy?” I asked, but my only response was a chorus of raucous laughter.

The Princess started to try to talk to them further, but I heard the sharp crack of a slap and a squeel of surprised pain from her, followed by another of the attackers saying “Shut up if you want to stay alive, slaves.”

Eventually they herded us together into a wagon and started driving us through the forest. I do not know how long we traveled, but after the blinding poison – thankfully not permanent – had worn off, the attackers finally revealed themselves to us. They came first to me, asking me a dangerous question – “So, who are you? Gesult, Nerendus, or Korinthos?” – and then pulling back their hoods to reveal the faces of a group of Corrupted Demonlings.

FREE! FREE ME! ALLIES! Korinthos battered hard at my inner defenses, and I was barely able to contain him. I growled in rage and struggled in my bonds, which earned me a clubbing, but gave them no other answer.

“So you maintain complete control? Interesting. We’ll see how long that lasts.” and with a taunting grin, they turned to the rest of my companions. With sly smirks, they told everyone exactly who and what they were – and by extension, what I was – much to the horror of all. After that, no one would even look at me. I could feel the despair starting to coil its tentacles around me, and Korinthos never faltered in his assault on my mind. He absorbed my entire focus for the remainder of the wagon journey.

* - In game terms, Bronn was blinded and so had to pick direction randomly when he moved. His first d8 sent him charging into a tree, right next to one of the archers. The archer got him in a net, but he struggled enough that she had to ask one of the other warriors for help. When Bronn got free, the other warrior had just moved to a flanking position with the first one – and Bronn’s second d8 roll sent him in exactly that direction.

Remove ads