• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 912

Quartz

Hero
Tarquin is a magnificent bastard isn't he? That said, he's not so much Evil as evil IYSWIM. He's evil because it's pragmatic rather than Xykon's power-lust. I wonder if The Giant is making the distinction deliberate?

Orius

Legend
I was hoping this storyline would eventually play out like this. Tarquin's always been a crafty, intelligent villain; seizing the Gate for Moar Powerz is something that feels out of character for him. That and he seems like he'd view Xykon as a potential dangerous long-term threat. It's a shame he didn't show up sooner though, it would be interesting to see how he'd deal with Team Evil.

Does anyone else think Tarquin is turning into Rich's Deus Ex Machina?

The plot just hit a point where 6 separate factions were approaching the gate for independent reasons (OotS, Linear Guild, Tarquin/Malack, mysterious Powers That Be, Xykon, Redcloak). In the middle of 4 conflicts (OotS vs X/R, LG vs T/M, OotS vs LG, PTB vs OotS), Tarquin returns backed by (what may be) the most powerful army we've seen and singlehandedly points the main characters back at the main plot.

Kinda like how when we first met Tarquin, the party was split and following a number of side plots. Tarquin then intentionally reunited the party and set them back on the main plot, even giving them the transportation they needed to do so (see comics 817-819).

I'm not complaining. A Deus Ex Machina is not necessarily a bad thing, and I'm enjoying the strip a lot right now. But it's worth noting this development for what it is.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I think Tarquin's actions and statements here are logical within the frame of what has happened and within his personality, and his established ability. He left to retreive an army to hold the gate. When he got back, there was no gate. Like he admitted, the army is now just dramatic tension. He's not rescuing the Order of the Stick, he's just not crushing them for no reason -- he has reason for them to go on and succeed with the next gate.

Bullgrit

Remove ads