• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 913

Richards

Legend
Rich has been cranking them out fast and furious lately. I'm glad to see a bunch of strips in a row. Hopefully this bodes well for his recovery.

Johnathan

Orius

Legend
Really? A lot of Rich's plot twists have taken me completely by surprise but this was not one of them, largely for the reason Tarquin gives in the third-from-last panel. The only question was whether Tarquin was going to do the honours himself or merely stand by while someone else did.

Not only this, back in this strip, Tarquin pretty much tells Nale he needs to prove himself. And like I said in the thread for #910:

And I'm not certain Tarquin will be proud of Nale's results here. He failed to capture the gate from the OotS, it got destroyed, then in the confusion he killed Malack instead of trying to subdue the OotS, and then Durkon killed Z'zdtri. Tarquin wanted to see how Nale could lead a team, and the results aren't likely to impress him. Not only did he completely fail his objective, he lost his entire team.

Tarquin's not too bothered by the gate's destruction. And Tarquin wasn't just looking to see how Nale could lead a team.

[sblock]
Nale failed to prove himself. It would also seem he's been a point of contention with Tarquin's friends for a while now. Tarquin protected him, perhaps in the hope that Nale would mature into an effective leader, but it didn't happen. Not only that, Nale killed off one of Tarquin's firends, which would not improve the opinion the others had of him, and he bragged about it, proving to Tarquin that Nale still hadn't learned to curb his ego. Killing Malack would probably make the others wonder which one is next, and likely some of them would probably make a pre-emptive strike on Nale. Tarquin offered his protection one last time and Nale chose to practically spit in his face. At least Tarquin made it quick.
[/sblock]

MarkB

Legend
I feel sorry for Sabine at this point - not for losing Nale, he was a douche and even a Succubus deserves better, but for how doomed she'll be when she goes after Tarquin.

Given his genre-savviness and general strategic acumen, there's no way Tarquin didn't have some precisely-tuned defenses set up against her from the first moment he contemplated killing Nale.

Rune

Once A Fool
While I agree with all of the previously mentioned reasons for Nale's murder, I think there's something more fundamental at play, here, also.

Simply put, Nale made it clear that he was neither his father's pawn, nor possession. He, therefore, was nothing to Tarquin but a liability.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I wonder if at this point we will ever get the backstory details on Nale's animosity toward Malack? ("I've been thinking about killing you since I was nine years old!")

Orius

Legend
I feel sorry for Sabine at this point - not for losing Nale, he was a douche and even a Succubus deserves better, but for how doomed she'll be when she goes after Tarquin.

If she goes after him. She works for the Three Fiends and they may other uses for her other than going up against Tarquin.

frankthedm

First Post
Depends if Nale gets fast tracked to Fiend status or if Sabine devours Nale's Soul as a power up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads