Other MT Like Software?

cyberProlix

First Post
Hi all-

We're all frustrated about the lack of information on Master Tools. We're all frustrated about the lack of functionality of Master Tools.

I've heard of DM's Familiar for $20, Campaign Suite for $24.95, City Overseer 3D (the full set) for $54.95, and Gemstone which appears to still be in the works. Besides PCGen for character creation are any of these above software programs any good - and a decent replacement for Master Tools?

I've played with DM's Familiar a little bit. It didn't have the functionality that I was looking for. I'm thinking of using the 30 day trial of Campaign Suite but I'm not sure it handles everything that I want it too - which is everything I was promised that the original MT would. I don't know of anybody that has Overseer and it doesn't appear that they have a trial version - would someone offer us a review of it?

I'm aware of PCGen and it's capabilities for character generation, but it has this huge download requirement which would take years on my dialup connection. Is there something out there for either purchase or free that is comparable that has a decent GUI interface and ability to create PC's and PrC's?

Can someone post a review of either City Overseer or Campaign Suite?

Velik

First Post
I got Campaign Suite about 3 weeks ago and man the features have gone through the roof. You can create charactors with it, roll up random dungeons, random overland adventures or customize your own.

It has all the PrC's from the DMG except the Loremaster which the guy who made the software said he is working on putting in, or you can add your own in.

It has a basic tile mapper that does the job fairly well for making a quick dungeon.

You can make new items, classes, races, feats or encounter tables. Right now it has everything from the SRD loaded in.

Has a new feature of a NPC template(still a little limited but...) that will let you make an NPC of a certain "Profession" and after a few clicks you have say a BlackSmith or Town Guard stats and all . Pretty cool idea I thought...makes life alot easier for a DM

It has custom export templates for your Charactor in either .RTF or HTML. You can also export the configuration file of your campaign so you can trade custom info with other people.

It has a bug here and there but nothing major and if you tell them about it, it is usually fixed in about 24 hours. I told them about a small bug and literally 4 hours later he replied with an update for it.

Some of the features on CS are basic, either because of the OGL or because he hasn't got to them quite yet but all he does is write this software so he puts out updates with new features and polishes about every week. Sometimes more. It seems the programmer is open to suggestions on features for CS also. I told him about a couple things I wouldn't mind seeing and he replied back saying either yeah that is coming up soon or that was a good idea and sure enough a few days later it was in an update.

All in all CS is still a little basic (though it seems like it won't be for long hehe) but it does have alot of features that makes game preperation a whole lot easier, it's cheaply priced, easy to use and customer service is outstanding. So I give it a thumbs up.

Hope that helped.
Heath

here is a link for it
http://www.multiweave.com/trose/index.php

Mynex

First Post
PCGen

--snip--
I'm aware of PCGen and it's capabilities for character generation, but it has this huge download requirement which would take years on my dialup connection. Is there something out there for either purchase or free that is comparable that has a decent GUI interface and ability to create PC's and PrC's?
--snip--

uhrm.. huge download requirements? there are 2 files that are required to run PCGen... and together they are less than 2 megs in size. 1 meg is the data list files and the other meg are all of the system files, character/party sheets and the cor program.

Yes, there are optional files if you want to print pdf character sheets, and another if you want 'skins' ability, but they are not required.

The GUI is ugly at parts, but it is in the middle of being overhauled, and the 1st run through should be done in the next month... then the code monkeys plan to go back through and add all the little bells and whistles.

For a free program, that handles what PCGen can handle for character management, there is no compare.

If you're looking for campaign tracking info, then no, PCGen is not at that point yet, and probably won't be for at least 6mos or so while many features are taken care of...

Just some info. :)

cyberProlix

First Post
PCGen's d/l's

I was thinking of the huge java or whatever it is download that needs to be d/l'ed from Sun Micosystems. That is the hinderance that stops me from being able to use PCGen.

I'm glad someone has written about Campaign Suite. I'm d/ling the trial version now. If it does what you suggested it sounds very promising.

I did forget to mention two other software programs in my original post (and I'm sure a few others). I currently use DavidRM's The Journal - but this program is more for note taking, and not a PC/Campaign Manager. I take notes on my laptop for class and notes about the game that I need to, in this aspect it is wonderful. The other program is Weather Master - which I think is awesome - to use weather in your campaign.

Hope that clarifies a thing or two.

Twin Rose

First Post
I'm the author of Campaign Suite, so I can't post without some bias, but I believe that you are looking for a software that will create characters AND manage your Campaign Issues. At least, that's what I was able to glean from your previous posts. If you do know what it is you are looking for in your management software, it would be great for you to post, because I'm always looking for new ideas and ways I can improve Campaign Suite, and you seem to have pretty specific ideas of what you want. I wont' post a complete features list, or begin saying how wonderful I think my software is, because I don't really feel that that is what this forum is for... You are welcome to email me, or look at the Twin Rose site and see if it has what you are looking for - and again, if not, it might be something that can be added.

Good luck in your search.

Remove ads