D&D General Owlbear Rodeo Cast to TV help

vayasen

Villager
Hi All. My second post here (first one last week re how to show maps to players, got some very good advice and got working on Owlbear Rodeo which I hadnt heard of before).

I have a slight problem. Using an IPAD, I cant seem to get the 'Cast' option up so I can put the screen on to the TV for the players (I want it to cast so the players see the hidden version with the fog). At the moment, cant seem to get the 'Cast' option to appear.

Not quite sure why it is. Wifi is on for the TV and Ipad and I am using Chrome on the Ipad. Must be something else I a missing I am sure.

Any advice appreciated.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I've only used the cast option once and it was with a PC, so maybe I won't be terribly helpful. That said, on my Windows machine, I had to go the Bluetooth menu and explicitly pair my laptop with the TV. After having done that, the casting option appeared on Owlbear Rodeo.

vayasen

Villager
I've only used the cast option once and it was with a PC, so maybe I won't be terribly helpful. That said, on my Windows machine, I had to go the Bluetooth menu and explicitly pair my laptop with the TV. After having done that, the casting option appeared on Owlbear Rodeo.
Been looking and just cant seem to see a bluetooth option on the (LG) TV. Its relatively modern and a smart TV but maybe it dosnt have the BT option.

Stormonu

Legend
A couple of things to check ...

TV and Ipad are on the same network (my home router has a 2.5G network "group", a 5G network "group" and a wired group - I have had issues with the three talking to one another). On the iPad, check the name of the Wi-Fi in Settings (Settings ---> WiFi) and make sure the TV is attaching to the same ID name.

Check for Firewalls on the router or an option on the TV that might block incoming (unknown) connections.

Try using Safari or the YouTube app for a basic connection to the TV. If you can get either of those to work, it might mean there is an option in the iPad Settings specifically for Chrome that needs to be turned on/off (Settings --> Scroll down to applications -> Chrome --> Local Network)

After a bit of fitzing, I'm betting the last option is the one that is causing issues.

Stormonu

Legend
Just read the documentation - "In order to support casting in Owlbear Rodeo ... The device also must support presenting to an external display. The cast option allows you to connect to either a Chromecast or an external display that is connected to your computer. To cast to an external display it must be set up to extend the primary display. If the external display is set to mirror the primary display then cast option will not be available."

To my knowledge, casting from an iPad works like mirroring. You'd need a Chromecast attached to the TV to cast to it.

<Edit> Unless, apparently you can get it to work through Airplay, but that may be restricted to apple devices.

Last edited:

vayasen

Villager
Thanks for all the replies but no joy sadly.

For Reference, its an Ipad Air2.

I have something called LGCast (its an LG TV) on the Ipad and TV...but it dosnt seem to work (it says connection made on the TV screen) but it appears to be just looking for Videos to be cast from the Ipad.

On the verge of packing it in and just carrying on with the imagination....not a terrible thing but thought the group might like a few changes now and then and some visual representation of a few battles.

vayasen

Villager
Just read the documentation - "In order to support casting in Owlbear Rodeo ... The device also must support presenting to an external display. The cast option allows you to connect to either a Chromecast or an external display that is connected to your computer. To cast to an external display it must be set up to extend the primary display. If the external display is set to mirror the primary display then cast option will not be available."

To my knowledge, casting from an iPad works like mirroring. You'd need a Chromecast attached to the TV to cast to it.

<Edit> Unless, apparently you can get it to work through Airplay, but that may be restricted to apple devices.
I missed this part about chrome cast. Didnt realise a Chromecast was an actual item. Will have a look at that too, thanks

Remove ads