• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder split movement

So I understand in a round you can do different actions (Free, Swift, Move, Standard or Free, Swift, Full) so my issue is if I have 30' movement move 20' to the enemy (Move action) make 1 attack (standard action). do I get the rest of my movement or does my movement stop (I can move up to my full movement in a round and still take a standard action)?

houser2112

Explorer
In 3.5 (and presumable also Pathfinder), in order to move, take an action, and move again, you need a special feat called Spring Attack. Otherwise your movement stops.

Not quite. Spring Attack let's you split your movement with a melee attack in the middle, not any old standard action. There's a separate similar feat for ranged attacks, Shot On The Run. I seem to recall that Pathfinder may have made a feat for spells, but the name escapes me. There's no feat to do this with a generic standard action that I know of.

Gilladian

Adventurer
But since you have 3 actions in a round, and you can use them for ANY action, you could Stride (your movement or less), attack once, and Stride again. So while it isn’t easy, you can get a “broken up” move/attack/move, right?

houser2112

Explorer
But since you have 3 actions in a round, and you can use them for ANY action, you could Stride (your movement or less), attack once, and Stride again. So while it isn’t easy, you can get a “broken up” move/attack/move, right?

The actions that OP mentions (Free, Swift, Move, Standard or Free, Swift, Full) are from Pathfinder 1st Edition, so I assumed he wanted an answer pertaining to that edition.

Stride is a Pathfinder 2nd Edition action, but you are correct in the context of that game.

Staffan

Legend
Not quite. Spring Attack let's you split your movement with a melee attack in the middle, not any old standard action. There's a separate similar feat for ranged attacks, Shot On The Run. I seem to recall that Pathfinder may have made a feat for spells, but the name escapes me. There's no feat to do this with a generic standard action that I know of.

There's Flyby Attack which lets you take any action in the middle of your move, but only if you fly.

Starfox

Hero
In PF1 mounted combat (and 3E and 3.5 as well) you can move the mount's speed, make a full attack with a ranged weapon, and then again move the mount's speed. No need for any feats, but a DC 5 Ride check (controlling mount with knees or somesuch) is needed.

Remove ads