Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder To Get New Core Rulebooks Soon

New books are a reorganization and consolidation rather than a new edition

PlayerCore_CoverMock_1200.png

It's not just D&D that's getting a 'revised' set of core books--Pathfinder is also getting 'remastered' books! The core rulebooks are being replaced by a new set of books, with new names, but like D&D it is being reiterated that this is not a new edition--"With the exception of a few minor variations in terminology and a slightly different mix of monsters, spells, and magic items, the rules remain largely unchanged."

The existing Pathfinder Core Rulebook, Gamemastery Guide, Bestiary, and Advanced Player’s Guide are being replaced with Pathfinder Player Core, Pathfinder GM Core, Pathfinder Monster Core, and Pathfinder Player Core 2.

These books appear to focus on re-organization and consolidation of existing material rather than substantive changes. They also represent Paizo's move away from the Open Gaming License and towards the new Open RPG Creative (ORC) license. Paizo says "This transition will result in a few minor modifications to the Pathfinder Second Edition system, notably the removal of alignment and a small number of nostalgic creatures, spells, and magic items exclusive to the OGL. These elements remain a part of the corpus of Pathfinder Second Edition rules for those who still want them, and are fully compatible with the new remastered rules, but will not appear in future Pathfinder releases."

When all is said and done - PF2 will be well served by a new rulebook. I find the current CRB not very good or utalitarian. I have no idea how they should improved, it's a herculean task to make a good rulebook for something like PF2 me thinks, but man last year when we tried PF2 I had to do so many lookups in different sections to get "the full rule", and many times I missed part of a rule because I couldn't find it.
I know that if I'll ever run it again I will definitely be happy knowing there's a new take on it.
I'd love it if the new edition has some distinct sections that aggregate all relevant rules on specific topics such as: healing/injuries/dying/death (with clarification on treating wounds); Crafting (which is mostly in the skill part except all the chunks in the item sections); and my bugaboo: identifying magic and magic items and figuring out how they work. We have it down now, but it was a constant vexing issue to sort out in our first campaign.

There are others as well; I am used to the organization of the CRB now (skill stuff goes here; item stuff goes there; crafting is all over the place, etc.) but seriously, a complete run down on these rules in cohesion would be appreciated.

Remove ads

Remove ads