Peacemaker (HBOMax) - Possible Spoilers

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I'm about 3 eps into this James Gunn series.

A bit one-notey. John Cena reprises his role a lunkheaded, ostensibly affable, possibly accidentally prejudiced assassin who loves peace by killing lots of people. When he's funny, he's very funny. Otherwise, it's kind of "Haha! Peacemaker said something offensive without any trace of irony or self-awareness." If you are a fan this Family Guy-esque brand of humor, you will likely enjoy this.

One standout character is Vigilante, a remorseless killer who dresses not unlike a Power Ranger/motocross rider, who has a vaguely Deadpoolly schtick. Robert Patrick also has a recurring role as Peacemaker's racist dad
who is also a KKK/Aryan Brotherhood leader.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Very inconsistently funny. If you are the type that never tires of jokes being beaten to death, you should be able to handle this.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Bloodsport: What's the plan?

Rick Flag: How the {heck} am I supposed to know?

Peacemaker: You're the leader! You're supposed to be decisive!

Bloodsport: And I'm deciding that you should eat a big bag of d****!

Peacemaker: If this whole beach was completely covered in d**** , and somebody said I had to eat every d***until the beach was clean for liberty, I would say "no problemo!"

Ratcatcher II: Why would someone put p****** all over the beach?

Peacemaker: Who knows why madmen do what they do?

Sorry. I just always think it's an appropriate time for that quote. And this is the closest I'll come. Why knows why madmen do what they do, indeed? I'm saving the show until a few more episodes are released.

embee

Bloodsport: What's the plan?

Rick Flag: How the {heck} am I supposed to know?

Peacemaker: You're the leader! You're supposed to be decisive!

Bloodsport: And I'm deciding that you should eat a big bag of d****!

Peacemaker: If this whole beach was completely covered in d**** , and somebody said I had to eat every d***until the beach was clean for liberty, I would say "no problemo!"

Ratcatcher II: Why would someone put p****** all over the beach?

Peacemaker: Who knows why madmen do what they do?

Sorry. I just always think it's an appropriate time for that quote. And this is the closest I'll come. Why knows why madmen do what they do, indeed?
Now imagine the wit and creativitity of that single exchange but halved and then spread out over a dozen half-hour episodes.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I watched 2 didnt enjoy them, the humour isnt funny and the deliberate crudeness seems a bit banal.

the white dragon twist was a highpoint, and it amuses me that this Vigilante is the same one that appeared in the Arrowverse

embee

I watched 2 didnt enjoy them, the humour isnt funny and the deliberate crudeness seems a bit banal.
Given that the episodes are written and directed by James Gunn, I wouldn't be surprised if the show is just thinly-veiled middle finger by him aimed at his perceived foe of so-called cancel culture.

Remove ads