Peer-Reviewed Study Says Dungeons & Dragons Good for Mental Health

The study from Games for Health Journal showed declines in depression, anxiety

sponsor-350x350-GFH-journal.png

A study published in Games for Health Journal Vol 13, No 2 titled A Study on the Efficacy of the Tabletop Roleplaying Game Dungeons & Dragons for Improving Mental Health and Self-Concepts in a Community Sample by Alyssay Merrick, Wendy Wen Li, and Dan J. Miller shows mental health benefits of tabletop roleplaying games.

Twenty-five participants played Dungeons & Dragons for one hour per week for eight weeks with surveys before, during, and after the game sessions. All participants played the same module run by a local games club in Queensland, Australia, and were balanced across prior experience with D&D with 16% having no experience, 32% moderate experience, and 20% a “great deal” of experience.

According to the study, “Participants demonstrated significant decreases in depression, stress, and anxiety and significant increases in self-esteem and self-efficacy over the study period”. The paper states that the results indicate D&D and other RPGs “may have potential utility as a wellbeing intervention or prevention program”.

A free version of the paper published by the authors is available in PDF format

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

I cringe at a 1 hour ttrpg session 1/week 😂
That's even shorter than 4e's organized game, "Encounters" I think?
The set piece single-fight ones? Yeah, I think those were "Encounters" and ran maybe 2-3 hours. "Delves" were the three-room dungeons and a bit longer IIRC.

Not a bad format for board game night, arguably faster and more fun than a game of Descent. Rather questionable as an RPG.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

Twenty-five participants played Dungeons & Dragons for one hour per week for eight weeks with surveys before, during, and after the game sessions. All participants played the same module run by a local games club in Queensland, Australia, and were balanced across prior experience with D&D with 16% having no experience, 32% moderate experience, and 20% a “great deal” of experience.
Seems like they were all players.

Now let me see the results of the surveys for DMs.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Also, I'd like to see a control group that spent an hour on unstructured social interactions for comparison.
Right. I would expect similar results from board games and other social activity.

But one thing that D&D has going for it is the exercise of creativity and imagination. TTRPGs boost me in ways other group social activities don't.

Remove ads

Remove ads