• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Preemptive Defense

Macbeth

First Post
Our house rule feat that gives Psychics the equivalent of Inertial Armor currently reads:

Preemptive Defense
Prerequisites: Psychic Ability, Wis 13+

Benefit: The Pyschic's mind subconsciously projects a protective field of force around the character by tapping into the base instincts for self-preservation. A character with Preemptive Defense receives a +4 armor bonus. The armor provided is composed of psychokinetc force and cannot be bypassed by incorporeal creatures. Preemptive Defense causes constant 2 point strain, but can be shutdown as a standard action. Subdual damage from strain is recovered normally if Preemptive Defense is inactive. Preemptive Defense does not incur any movement or armor penalties, nor does it stack with other armor bonuses.

I would like to add the following to it, to mirror the Inertial Armor feat as found in Mindscapes:

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times; each time you gain a total armor bonus to Armor Class that is +2 higher then the previous bonus to Armor Class. The strain of maintaining the Preemptive Defense increases by +2 for each +2 bonus.

The Mindscapes feat increases the power point requirement by +4, but since HP (and therefore the ability to take strain) increases much more slowly then Power Points, a +2 increase in strain seems more balanced. If this addition is agreeable, Li will likely take his 5th level in Psychic, and use the bonus feat to take Preemptive Defense again, bringing his AC to 19.

Macbeth

First Post
Just a little *bump*, since I'd like to take this feat, and I'm planning to have a new character sheet ready, even if it is some time before we level.

BSF

Explorer
A couple of thoughts on this.

I am waffling on 2 strain. For more traditional balance, it is better to be conservative. I'm just not quite sure that I am as worried about the traditional balance. But it is easier to leave at 2 strain and reduce that later if need be.

The second thought is instead of stacking the feat, maybe doing an improved version. Something that uses Preemptive Defense as a Prerequisite. Perhaps tacking on a higher Wisdom score for the improved versions and giving it better benefits.

Though, that might be more work than I want to put in. :) Give me another day or two to think about it.

Macbeth

First Post
If you do bump the Wis req up too much, Li won't be able to use it. He only has Wis 15. Of course there's no reason to tailor it exactly too Li, but just something to keep in mind.

BSF

Explorer
The next "hurdle" I was contemplating was Wis 15.

Of course, I am not even sure I am going that route. Tell you what, use the stacking Preemptive Defense for now and if we have a burning need to change it, we will later.

Remove ads