• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pricing Items that grant Feats

Bobbystopholes

First Post
In DotF, there is a Greater Holy Symbol that grants Empowered Turning at will and costs 5040gp.

1) Does anyone know how they got this price?

2) How would you price an unslotted item that grants, say, Spell Focus (Evocation)?

3) How would you price a slotted item that grants the same feat?

I looked in Tome and Blood but couldn't find the formula on my own.

Thanks in advance.

kreynolds

First Post
There isn't a formula for this. Some magic items that grant feats (such as Empowered Turning) or class abilities (such as evasion) use spells to duplicate those effects, which in turn helps you figure out the rough cost of the item, which you then tweak up or down appropriately. For example, the Ring of Evasion doesn't require you to have the Evasion class ability in order to craft the item. It simply requires the Jump spell. Others, however, don't use spells and simply require that you have the feat (such as metamagic rods), which makes it a little bit more difficult to come up with a fair price.

Some people don't even like the idea of magic items that grant feats because they think it goes against the spirit of the game or some such crap, which is precisely why they shouldn't bother replying to this thread, seeing as how they don't have anything to offer. ;) But I think many people have finally started to develop a more liberal way of thinking when it comes to new magic items, which is a good thing.

Pricing magic items that grant feats is pretty difficult. If it helps, which it may not, check out the Metamagic Rods in T&B. They might give you a starting point. Personally, I've created plenty of magic items that grant feats or abilities, but most of the time I've had to follow my gut when it comes down to pricing them.

James McMurray

First Post
Heck, in my campaign you can get an Amulet of the Sun. It basically lets you use the grnted power of the sun domain once per day. Of course, it costs over 75,000gp and can only be made by a High Priest of Pelor (and they don't give these things out like candy). My party has wanted one ver since they heard the phrase "tomb of Acererak" but so far haven't scraped together enough cash to afford it or guts to ask for it.

When pricing items such as this, you have to look at it based on the power of the feat. An item that gives Endurance is not going to be nearly as useful as an item that gives Whirlwind Attack.

Remove ads