Ptolus - Campaign Journal

Jeremy

Explorer
Tonight was bar none the worst night of my life. It is important not to forget so I will document though I am in no mood to do so. In the middle of the night Imriel was attacked by skeletal horse with a sickly horn in its head that stabbed through his chest into his soul. I opened a door shining with bright green light just in time to see my parents summarily decapitated by a man in silver runed black armor with eyes of blazing green fire and a huge hand-and-a-half sword alight with the same fire. I’ve seen the scene in my head a thousand times if I’ve seen it once. I’m not proud of what I did next as it involved nothing productive and the near destruction of those only trying to help me. The murder of my parents disappeared with a taunt before I could get to him and I’ll never forgive myself. Almost immediately after Gloria clawed her way up the stairs to us to try and warn us of the attack on House Windsong and the danger we were in before she succumbed and died to her wounds. I did not love Gloria Osterman. She was a woman warrior who the world had always treated like offal and I gave of myself to her to offset that injustice, afford her some comfort, and enjoy her genuinely pleasant company. But her loss was another I was unprepared to confront and I entered a numb and confused state that I cannot say I have recovered from today. I maintain a pleasant and polite exterior but I have been told that I am false and cold and cannot bring myself to evince some other reaction in those I interact with now. If it were not for Father Fabitor’s council that terrible night the damage to the person I was would have been much worse.

I’ve grown accustomed to becoming very short sighted and focusing to the exclusion of all else on one task at a time now. I find the familiarity of routine and exertion the fastest way to the emotional numbness that is my only comfort. These days I find I seek violence more and more as my pain only rots and spreads rather than healing. But as I write this it is some months later and so much has happened since. Though I do recall that I handled it somewhat better in the beginning. Of course I didn’t know then what I know now.

Outside the terrified coachman who had brought Gloria to us told us next to nothing of what had happened. We headed down to the drow information broker, Minerva, under Delver's Square, she also had nothing to tell us. Over the next few hours the information we gathered would seem to indicate that at least 3 of the noble houses had joined their forces and obliterated any sign of the House Windsong T’lan had been attempting to build. No one has any idea why outside the perception that the noble houses have no desire to admit another into their circle. Reports tell of an enormous silver dragon among the forces that attacked House Windsong and that by the request of the other Houses the noble quarter has been sealed for the time being. I remember briefly hoping that it would be House Vladaam, House Sadar, or at least House Rau behind the attacks. But this is T’lan we are talking about. Regardless of how necessary his stated goals may have been, he was a brute, a thug, a murderer, and probably worse. The dragon would point loudly to House Dallimothan’s involvement, though no one would say that within ear shot of anyone of their House. They are not people I want to name among my enemies.

I abandoned the others and headed to the estate of my family to find it bleached and stripped to the walls, the very color of the stone leeched of any color. I went to what had been my room, now barren as the rest of the house, barren as the bleak floorboards of the room Torm had been murdered in, and let sleep overtake me.

Remove ads