Ptolus, the Vai, and birth rates

lukelightning

First Post
sckeener said:
If not, I think a vampire going good might just summon up some snacks to level drain.

Technically this works. Sure, once it's dead it vanishes, so you can't eat it...but you can drain it while it's alive.

Klaus

First Post
[sblock] A Vai Assassin must kill *something* every day (even an ant will do), but most Vai try to slay a sentient being at least once per month. [/sblock]

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Also remember that Ptolus is a city of immigrants where many of the new arrivals consciously put themselves in danger once they arrive. Those folks disappearing wouldn't be surprising at all to authorities. I suspect more than a few Delvers were killed by the Vai, and not the Dungeon at all.

catsclaw227

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Also remember that Ptolus is a city of immigrants where many of the new arrivals consciously put themselves in danger once they arrive. Those folks disappearing wouldn't be surprising at all to authorities. I suspect more than a few Delvers were killed by the Vai, and not the Dungeon at all.

This is the first thing I thought of when I started reading this thread. Are there any specifics about the approx number of new adventurers/travellers/pilgrims/migrants that come into Ptolus each given day? I imagine that the number that come in exceeds the number that leaves (permanently) on a given day.

Klaus

First Post
The book specifically says that if the Vai did indeed kill one sentient per day each, they´d empty the city in six years.

There are some figures on how many new delvers come to Ptolus, but I can´t recall it.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
I can see the Vai gathering together a few generations later. As they network in their secret meeting place (next door to the diner with the "two silver discount on meals to all Vai members" in the window) they come to a momentous decision. Namely, it's a hassle killing people. Besides, it isn't strictly necessary. Ants, rats, ambulance chasers, they're all good. And you don't have the trouble you get when you kill a sapient creature. (In the case of ambulance chasers you may even get a reward.)

So the decision is made, and soon their old meeting hall has a new sign, Vai Exterminators: Bugs, Bats, and Bunnies eliminated (ask about our ankheg rates). Not only are they fulfilling the terms of their agreement, they're making money on the deal.

Remove ads