Question: Surprising Charge

KenHood

First Post
Surprising Charge (in Martial Power) allows a character to inflict +1W damage when charging with a spear or light blade. Ruthless Ruffian allows a rogue to use a mace or club as a light blade with rogue powers.

Would possession of both of these abilities permit Tonk to gain the +1W damage when using his mace to charge?

Ozymandias79

First Post
No, I have considered this myself (but with a spiked chain) and my conclusion is no, sorry, It wouldn't give Tonk an extra W on the charge as it the specifies Light blade and ruthless ruffian only allow you to use mace as light blades with Rogue POWERS, feats that affect light blades doesn't affect maces even with this feature

elecgraystone

First Post
As Ozymandias79 said, this doesn't work. Ruthless Ruffian changes how rogue powers and sneak attack work by allowing more weapons to be used with them. It doesn't add light blades to the weapon.

I'd differ with Ozymandias79 on the spiked chain though. It does indeed add light blades (without limitation) to the weapon and I'd say that it'd qualify for anything that requires light blades.

Fragsie

Explorer
Are there Ruffian powers that you can use when charging? By RAW I would say that you would get the + 1[w] in that instance.

renau1g

First Post
How? It says when charging with light blade/spear. A mace is a mace is a mace. It doesn't transform into a light blade, Ruffian just allows a rogue ot use a mace for SA damage. Just the same as that dwarven rogue one that let's you use axes/hammers for SA damage ( -1 die) doesn't change a mordenkrad into a light blade.

elecgraystone

First Post
Yep it doesn't say the mace acts as a light blade or is treated as one. All Ruthless Ruffian does is alter the requirement of rogue powers and sneak attack by adding mace and club to every power that already allows light blades and to sneak attack. Nothing in Ruthless Ruffian adds mace to feat requirements.

"you can use clubs and the maces with Sneak Attack or any rogue power or rogue paragon path power that normally requires a light blade."

Remove ads