Questions about Life Drain...

checkmatepc

First Post
I know this question been around for a while, but I guess I'm just trying to deny reality.

I'm a Level 4 Homebrew at 42 HP while an encounter happened.

I was first hit by a Specter for 14 damage, and I also happened to failed the save. From my understanding, I'm left with 28/28, but due to a curse I had on me at the time, I also happened to take 1 point of damage which brought me down to 27/28.

I was then hit by a Wraith for 28 damage, which I also happened to fail the save (I had inspiration but I forgot to use it).

Now my question is, do I get knocked out before the Life Drain takes effect or am I dead dead before this game is cruel and I hate my life?

P.S. - one of my group member wasn't there for the session, and my DM made him loot the chest instead of fighting which also indirectly (Wraith was dying) led to my death, which made me quite upset...

Since you mention inspiration, it sounds like 5E, but since you didn't post in the 5E forum I would hate to assume.

Therefore, what rules are you playing?

Ah, you're dead. Life Drain can be, and in this case is, deadly.

It doesn't matter if you go unconscious or not. Your hit point total (42) was reduced to zero (14+28). They happen simultaneous. The wraith hit does 28 points of damage (which you only had 27) so it knocks you unconscious. But at the same time it reduces your HP total max to zero. And the ability specifically says if it does that you are dead.

Just think of your heroic death that you can now pin on your fellow player who didn't show up. And you can now create Son of Sam as your next character who is out to seek vengeance for his father's untimely death.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I cannot argue with the conclusion above.

But I do recommend that you talk to your group about having a 'tactics session' instead of an 'adventure session' to decide what you are going to do when certain circumstances come up. Don't just make it up as you go along, plan ahead a little. And don't always commit solo stunts, work together.

Then talk with your DM about scaling the enemies. Was he thinking your group would retreat from these monsters? Did you have an escape path? What happens when a PC fails every save for a round - the max damage his monsters can do? Would these enemies naturally (?) gang up on a single target, or each take the nearest? Does he want your characters dead or challenged?

When I was DM'ing Tiamat, there were a few combats where the enemy was trying to assassinate the PCs - so I played for blood. Other combats were somebody protecting their turf, so I tried to get each PC wounded and retreating. Other fights were due to hungry monster. Proper response can differ based on what is supposed to be happening. And how well the PCs understand the NPCs' goal; and vice versa!

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
And you can now create Son of Sam as your next character who is out to seek vengeance for his father's untimely death.
He's going to get revenge on an undead ghost ?!

Reminds me of a scene from "A Fish Called Wanda": the tough guy intimidated another character into joining a heist plot by eating the fish out of his aquarium, including his prize angelfish named "Wanda"; later the heist plot unravels. While dumping a concrete mixer's worth of concrete on the tough guy: "Th-th-this is for W-w-w-Wanda!" "Revenge for a fish?"

I suppose, to get revenge on an undead, you should become a Cleric. The new character might be carrying around a load of textbooks because he has to crash-study; he didn't set out on this path from the days of his childhood.

checkmatepc

First Post
Well, there're few problems in my honest opinion for our group of D&D...

Firstly, it isn't that we are not being challenged, in fact, we are being challenged and have almost come close to TPW few times. Example would be we had to fight a Young Emerald Dragon/(Drake?) and 5/9 were passed out, I was one of them.

Second, our group has gotten so big since we first started. It was a small average size group of 4 and then 6, then 8, then 10, and now 12 of us in the group. And let's face it, getting everyone together for a session is nearly impossible at that size. So what ends up happening half the time is we would have a session with 6 or 7 of us playing while the session is still set as a challenge for 12 people. It gets harder, and harder and the DM would help play the roles of the missing players but it just isn't the same. He would award the players that are there and not there the same as well, exp and gold wise. Which I found unfair but who am I to say anything... I haven't miss a single session since day 1, and almost everyone is as rich as me and same level as me. And now, I'm dead.

Third, it goes back to what I mentioned previously, since some players are not there and the DM makes the move, it isn't exactly how the game should play out. For example, this time we fought without our Berserker there. Instead of joining the fight when it started, the DM made the Berserker loot the chest which indirectly resulted in my death since I was doing one of the biggest damages in the group...

P.S. - He had mentioned that he wanted us to be more challenged but not dead, however, I don't think it's justifiable that I should be punish?

Just because your character died doesn't mean you are being punished. If you feel the GM isn't being fair to you personally, talk to him/her about it outside of a gaming session. Remember, life isn't fair, so if "unfair" things happen to your character, that is part of role-playing. But, if they are happening to you (not your character), then you need to talk to the person who you think is doing that.

Remove ads