• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick question about Blasphemy

gfunk

First Post
I found this phrase in the spell description for Blasphemy:

"Creatures native to the character's plane who hear the blasphemy and are not evil suffer the following ill effects (goes on to list effects)"

What does this mean exactly?

Many powerful demons/devils can use blasphemy at will. However, what happens when they cast this spell on PCs while fighting on the Prime?

Since the native plane of a Demon/Devil is the Abyss/Hell does that mean the spell does nothing to the PCs? I suppose the spell (and its variants like Holy Word) were written with the intent that PC/NPC clerics would use them. Obviously, their native plane would be the Prime so all results would work normally. I guess if the PC/NPC cleric went to another plane, this type of spell would do nothing to outsiders.

Thoughts?

Gromm

First Post
I always read it as "this is the effect if someone is from the plane you are on" kind of thing. I could be wrong, since a Balor can lock down a party by doing it every round.

gfunk

First Post
Gromm said:
I always read it as "this is the effect if someone is from the plane you are on" kind of thing. I could be wrong, since a Balor can lock down a party by doing it every round.

That's how I saw it too. A demon would have to have some good partners to maximize the effects of this combo. For instance, the Balor stands at the center of the party casting Blasphemy every round while his Marilith/Herzou/Glabrezu/Nalfenshee/Vrock buddies tear the PCs a new a**hole. ;-)

Thanee

First Post
I'd also read it as creatures native to the plane you are currently on.

So, if fighting a Balor, first cast Deafness on yourself! :D

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads