D&D 5E Quicken and Ready

Hi all,

Have a rules question about something the Sorcerer/Warlock in my game did the other night.

They used Quickened Spell to shoot off Eldritch Blast as a Bonus Action.

Then used Ready as their action to shoot off an Eldritch Blast as a Reaction when their enemy came into view later.

I ruled this was legit in the heat of the moment. After the game I looked through all the relevant rules and as far as I can tell it seems that it was indeed legit.

Is there something I'm missing that would make the run afoul of the RAW?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Hi all,

Have a rules question about something the Sorcerer/Warlock in my game did the other night.

They used Quickened Spell to shoot off Eldritch Blast as a Bonus Action.

Then used Ready as their action to shoot off an Eldritch Blast as a Reaction when their enemy came into view later.

I ruled this was legit in the heat of the moment. After the game I looked through all the relevant rules and as far as I can tell it seems that it was indeed legit.

Is there something I'm missing that would make the run afoul of the RAW?
Not as far as I can see, the only consideration is that a readied spell is considered cast when it is readied, and requires you to maintain concentration on it until you take the readied action (this also means that in the case of leveled readied spells, the slot is used up, and you can't quicken a leveled spell and ready another- but since your Sorcerer only used two cantrips, they're golden).

Oofta

Legend
The only issue with readying is that if you ready a spell you are actually casting the spell on your turn. So you couldn't cast a bonus action quickened spell and then ready a leveled spell. Casting a cantrip is fine, since they can cast it on the same turn as a bonus action spell.

Remove ads