Ranking all Star Trek and Star Wars films and series...together!

Mercurius

Legend
I'm curious how much people like Star Trek vs. Star Wars, beyond just a simple response ("I prefer X over Y").

How would you rank all the films relative to each other? And what about the TV series? The bottom line criteria is enjoyment; secondary factors could include quality, meaning, etc, but emphasize enjoyment over all else.

Oh, if possible, color-code them - all Star Wars one color, all Star Trek the other. And add a list at the end of the films and series you haven't seen. You can see my list in the first reply (I'll write it up now, before posting this, so I can get in first ;)) as a basic template, but feel free to do it however you want.

Mercurius

Legend
My Lists....

FILMS
  1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
  2. Star Wars: A New Hope
  3. The Empire Strikes Back
  4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
  5. Return of the Jedi
  6. Star Trek: First Contact
  7. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
  8. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
  9. Rogue One
  10. Star Trek (2009)
  11. The Force Awakens
  12. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
  13. Star Trek Generations
  14. Revenge of the Sith
  15. Star Trek Beyond
  16. Solo
  17. The Last Jedi
  18. Star Trek Into Darkness
  19. Star Trek: Nemesis
  20. Star Trek: Insurrection
  21. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
  22. Rise of Skywalker
  23. Attack of the Clones
  24. The Phantom Menace
Haven't Seen: The Clone Wars

Note: I've only seen some of the lower ranked films once, and not in years--or decades, in some cases--so am going on distant memory impressions. But there's a reason I haven't felt the need to re-watch, say, Insurrection.

I consider the top three to be "great" films--all among my top 20; the next three are "excellent" but not quite great, more top 100 films, and then the next three or four to be "very good" (top 500?). The next seven or eight are all mixed bags--some overall just OK, some mixtures of good and bad--and then the last half dozen or so are just poor films, hard to watch at times or just boring.

SERIES
  1. Star Trek: The Original Series
  2. Star Trek: The Next Generation
  3. Star Trek: Discovery
  4. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
  5. Star Trek: Voyager
  6. Enterprise
Haven't Seen: The Animated Series, Short Treks, Picard, Lower Decks, Prodigy, Strange New Worlds | All Star Wars series

Notes: Obviously I have some watching to do. I'm going through Discovery now, and then will watch SNW and Picard, before turning my eye to Disney+ and the Star Wars series.

One thing I wanted to mention is that I remember loving TNG when it came out, and how dated TOS felt - and the ridiculousness of the special effects. Now that TNG also seems equally dated, I feel that both can be weighed alongside each other, and TOS comes out on top, but it is very close. TNG was more uneven, possibly with higher highs and definitely with lower lows.

Last edited:

Yora

Legend
Okay, I can give you the movies. Though a bit weird for a listing.

The Good
SW5: The Empire Strikes Back
SW6: Return of the Jedi
SW4: Star Wars
ST2: The Wrath of Khan
ST6: The Undiscovered County
SW3: Revenge of the Sith
ST8: First Contact
ST3: The Search for Spock
ST1: The Motion Picture
The Bad
SW1: The Phantom Menace
SW2: Attack of the Clones
ST7: Generations
The Ugly
SW10: Nemesis
ST4: The Voyage Home
Rogue One
ST5: The Final Frontier
SW9: Insurrection
SW7: The Force Awakens
Into Darkness
SW8: The Last Jedi

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Mines pretty much Star Wars over Star Trek movies. I mostly just like Trek series and the films are meh.

GreyLord

Legend
Huh...

Well, I'll do what you don't want and say, I like Star Trek more than Star Wars these days.

If I rank the movies I suppose it would go something like...

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Star Wars
5. The Undiscovered Country
6. Star Trek (2009)
7. Wrath of Kahn
8. The Voyage Home
9. First Contact
10. Nemesis
11. Into Darkness
12. The Search for Spock
13. Generations
14. The Final Frontier
15. Insurrection
16. Attack of the Clones
17. Beyond
18. Phantom Menace
19. The Motion Picture
20. Rogue One
21. Clone Wars (cartoon one)
22. Any other Star Wars Film (this would be most of Disney's Star Wars, the Ewok films...etc)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Hmmm...interesting exercise. I already think my list and other here will disagree on a few points... :)

For me there's kinda three groups, within which there could be all kinds of position changes depending on my mood at the moment. This is my rough ordering as of this afternoon.

Rogue One
SW6 Return of the Jedi

ST11 Star Trek
SW7 Force Awakens
SW4 A New Hope
Solo
SW9 The Last Jedi
ST6 Undiscovered Country

--------------------------------
SW5 Empire Strikes Back
ST7 Generations
ST8 First Contact

SW1 Phantom Menace
SW8 Rise of Skywalker

ST2 Wrath of Khan
ST4 Voyage Home
ST12 Into Darkness

SW3 Revenge of the Sith
---------------------------------
ST1 The Motion Picture
ST3 Search for Spock

SW2 Attack of the Clones
ST5 Final Frontier

Haven't seen (or just don't remember): ST9 Nemesis, ST10 Insurrection, ST13 Beyond.

As for the TV series, the jury is still out on both Picard and Discovery but so far I'd say they're the best of the Treks, and it's not even close. Much as I'd like to, I've yet to see any of the SW series as I don't do streaming.

Remove ads