• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Re-Loring Monsters

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
This is probably seen more as replacing rather then re-loving, but one of the big changes I made was removing the genie species as the highly intelligent elemental powerhouses and replacing them with Elemental Aboleths, and changing the standard Angels, Planetars, and Solars of the divine heavens into Celestial Aboleths.
Wow!

MarkB

Legend
I came up with a campaign world which took place on a mostly-desert continent with more verdant settled areas near the coast, the main idea being to have trade between nations being carried out via sand-skimming ships that plied the desert. To answer the question "why not just have conventional ships and sail around the continent?" I made the oceans and shoreline abodes of deadly megafauna. So, in the ocean, creatures like dragon turtles are somewhere around the middle of the food chain, and krakens are usually encountered near the surface, because they fear the larger and nastier denizens of the depths.

Along the shorelines, the ecological niches that would normally be taken up by gulls, puffins etc. are instead occupied by hippogriffs, wyverns and manticores, which have great flocks and colonies on cliffsides. They're adapted to hunting fish off the coast, but will go for easy prey on land, so nobody tends to come within a mile of the coast if they can help it. Even airships stay inland for fear of being mobbed.

Remove ads