• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend feats etc. for a glaive-wielder

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Pretty much as the subject says. I guess this is a case of maxing out the AoO potential since it's a reach weapon, but what other things are there to consider?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Pretty much as the subject says. I guess this is a case of maxing out the AoO potential since it's a reach weapon, but what other things are there to consider?

The Polearm Master seems to get some really nice powers...
... at 2nd level the Polearm Master can use the Glaive against adjacent opponents (with a penalty) that goes down by level.
... at 9th level they can choose any adjacent square as their location to determine who they flank.
... at 17th level they can take a 5-foot step to follow people they threatened who 5-foot step away
(I'm not sure what use the 13th level power is though since the revised FAQ lets you trip with anytihing).

For feats, at 11th level you can take Pin-Down and the opponents 5-foot step gives you an AoO to stop them from using a 5-foot step to get away.
Greater trip lets you take an AoO whenever you trip them with it.

Sounds like you'd definitely want Combat Reflexes to make all that sing.

On the other hand, if you wanted to be defensive you could take Phalanx Solider and at 3rd level you get to use your shield while wielding it. Make it a spiked heavy shield and you can then have something ready against anyone who tries to step in under your reach. Would want a Glaive-guisarme for this archetype so that you got the brace as well as the reach though.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
As a complete aside, I remember (almost 30 years ago) being a member of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) - you know those guys that wear real amor and beat each other with rattan bats. Anyway, one knight specialized in fighting with a halberd, but he had a small mace attached by cord on the bottom end of the halberd handle, so opponents who got inside is weapon reach would now face a mace. I wonder if something like this could be done for poleams in D&D/PF? It doesn't sound unreasonable.

Remove ads