• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Recruiting 1 more] Dies The Fire [SW:SAGA Edition]

Shalimar

First Post
S.M. Stirling wrote an incredible novel titled Dies the Fire. Set in 1998 the world as we know it under goes a frightening change. In a fash of light its all gone electricity, gun powder, internal combustion engines, even steam engines. Nothing works, its like somebody flipped a switch and took away all of the toys that let society function. Its not right, it sure as hell isn't fair, but until whatever it is decides to reverse itsef, thats how things are. Can you survive?

The novels trace the adventures of a few different groups of people that band together to survive, creating their own societies. The Bearkillers led by Mike Havel an ex-marine pilot create a society of knights from the ground up, fighting their way to good land where they can settle in and create a lasting kingdom. The Makenzies led by Juniper Makenzie the high priestess of a Wiccan coven form a clan along the lines of the scottish clans of old. These two leaders draw followers to them with the strength of their conviction and will to survive. How will you handle a change that bringsabout the death of 95% of the world's population? Will you be one of the fools who died waiting for someone to help you? Or will you take this changed world and run with it, gather a group of like minded individuals and create a new society in a world where only strength of arms means something?

This game will be run with the Star Wars Saga edition rules, though there will be a few minor modifications to make them fit the setting.

This game will be run over on the Groovy Gamer boards as I do not always have access to Enworld. I would like to keep a good pace up with posting, so I would like to see a minimum of a post every day, though more often would be highy appreciated. I am looking to run this with 3-6 players. Groovy Gamers Recruiting Thread

Last edited:

Shalimar

First Post
Thats more of the kick off event. It started two different series of Novels by Stirling. Stirling has't actually explained the why of the Change just what happened. The Island on the Sea of Time is Nantucket being ripped back from present day to 3000 BC or so, and I believe the Change is just an aftershock of that break in time, but its just a theory. Maybe he will explain it in the third series of books.

No one in the novels knows why things stopped working aside from the flash of light and splitting pain in their head. They are convinced that it was caused by a host of reasons ranging from God to Alien moonbats. The game will focus on the steps that the group takes to survive in the changed world as opposed to understanding why it happened.

Dire Lemming

First Post
I'm not sure I could really get into that kind of game. I mean, yeah that would totally be freaky if fire suddenly stopped... happening... in real life, but as fiction it just seems a bit too arbitrary for me.

Dire Lemming

First Post
Oh don't get me wrong, I like most post apoc settings. I just find the fact that a specific part of physics suddenly stops working for no apparent reason to be a bit... I don't know. I just don't really like it. :heh:

Shalimar

First Post
It was deliberate, the readers just don't know who did it because we know pretty much what the characters know and without all of the technical gadgets the characters don't have the ability to find out.

In any case, if you don't want to play thats fine. Hopefully another person will express some interest here or in the other thread and I can start the game up with 4 or 5 people.

Remove ads