OD&D Red box basic rules - confusing!

cavetroll

Explorer
I bought the red box basic set and the first thing I wanted to do was find some armor to equip.

But I'm flipping through the players manual (and checked the DM rulebook) and I will be damned if I can find a list of armor and the corresponding armor class.

I ran an adventure when I was 10 or 11. How the hell did I do it, when the rules are laid out so confusingly :)

Rather than feeling I am dumber know, I will just raise my hat to that kid who figured this game out.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
The '81 or '83 Basic Set? If it's Tom Moldvay's booklet, the armor table is with the rest of the equipment on page B12. If it's Frank Mentzer's, which is admittedly a much more confusing layout for reference purposes, armor prices are on page 22 and Armor Classes are on page 50 (but with each table also reproduced among the quick-reference tables in the middle of the booklet: prices on page 29 and ACs on page 36).

cavetroll

Explorer
The '81 or '83 Basic Set? If it's Tom Moldvay's booklet, the armor table is with the rest of the equipment on page B12. If it's Frank Mentzer's, which is admittedly a much more confusing layout for reference purposes, armor prices are on page 22 and Armor Classes are on page 50 (but with each table also reproduced among the quick-reference tables in the middle of the booklet: prices on page 29 and ACs on page 36).
'83 apparently. And aha tucked away in the inner corner I see it on page 50. lol I would have never found it flipping through, I'll have to read it beginning to end. It throws me off so much with a solo adventure on page 14 when I haven't even built my character yet. But I love the quirkyness.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Oh, absolutely. I love the Mentzer Set, the '91 ("New Easy-to-Master') black box and '94/'96 Classic set. Grew up on 'em, learned to play from 'em, still use 'em.

Dioltach

Legend
I ran an adventure when I was 10 or 11. How the hell did I do it, when the rules are laid out so confusingly :)

Rather than feeling I am dumber know, I will just raise my hat to that kid who figured this game out.
Speaking for myself, I devoured those book word for word at the time, until I knew every detail almost by heart. Now I'm more likely to skim back and forth and hope that whatever I'm looking for catches my eye.

Remove ads