• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revamping Guided weapons

BlackJaw

First Post
Written in the document currently being worked on:
Guided Weapons:
In some settings, guided weapons might exist. These weapons are almost like special vessels or monsters. Once told a target, they can be fired and they will fly toward the target on their own. The two most important bits of information for a guided weapon is the ability to recognize and track its target, and its ability to controls its flight to that target.
To target a guided weapon, you must make the appropriate skill check. Generally this is a spot check. This check is modified by the sensor quality of the guided weapon. The DC of the check is the same as the target’s armor class against touch attacks; no armor bonuses. As a skill check, this is a standard action.
Once targeted, the weapon can be launched as a standard attack. Each guided weapon has its own BAB which it uses for the attack. No attack modifiers apply, but armor class is determined normally including cover. Guided weapons are a favored weapon when a larger vessel wants to strike a smaller vessel because the size of the vessel that fired the weapon does not apply to the attack roll.
Targeting the weapon and firing the weapon can be done by different characters. A target lock with a weapon lasts as long as the line of sight between the two vessels remains intact. The Complex Stunt can force a re-roll of all target locks currently on a vessel. This re-roll is a free action at the same modifiers. A weapon can not have more then one target lock. If identical guided weapons are on the same vessel, they can all be locked at once in one skill check, or individually with separate skill checks, but not in arbitrary groups. Only one can be fired with each attack action.
I see a problem with this. the weapon effectively makes 2 attack rolls, and this is a bit silly, and makes the weapon less likely to hit. (yes I did write that concept of a guided weapon)

So my question is: should there be a lock on system for weapons or should you just shoot and the weapon attacks on its own? (IE: you target the weapon as kind of action but no checks, and once the lock is made you can just fire. The fired missle then makes an attack roll based on its quality)

OR

Should their be an attack roll like above (ranged touch attack/spot check) and then if the missle is fired, the pilot gets a reflex save for half damage (DC of save is set by missle qulaity)
???

BlackJaw

First Post
Guided is not a magic weapon descriptor in the DMG/core rules/SRD... Or do you mean my orginal write up?

My idea here is for your Top Gun style "get target lock" combat concept. Missles or guided weapons could use a diffrent concept. I think I was working with the idea that missiles are dependant on the quality of the missile not the skill of the user. but it didn't come out that way when I re-read it. (was writing up the missile rack and missile tube weapon systems)

I'm thinking that they should be ranged touch attacks with reflex saves. something like a one time special item (magic items could mimic missiles in rules)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
BlackJaw said:
I'm thinking that they should be ranged touch attacks with reflex saves. something like a one time special item (magic items could mimic missiles in rules)

Ranged touch attack with reflex save is perfect. Armour doesn't matter when you're going for the lock-on and the reflex save gives a ship that one last chance to avoid impact. Simple and fits perfectly with existing rules.

BlackJaw

First Post
Good. I'll write up a missiles that way in the vehicle construction section (the part on weapons) to work that way.

I think Complex Stunt still works with this too (AC bonus againt the ranged touch attack)

Remove ads