D&D 5E Rogue/Barbarian When Do you Multiclass?

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
TL:DR: Skip the first blob of text for actual build question. It saShillelagh is allowed to work with a barbarian at are table, since you can’t cast spells while raging and your bonuses are to strength not wisdom. The only things that changes is the extra damage is added to Shillelagh and Reckless Attack works with Wisdom. Barbarians are still MAD naturally wanting STR, DEX, CON. Also Elven Accuracy doesn’t work with it as well if you were worried about that. Clubs and Quarterstaffs can have Sneak Attack apply but no Polearm Master Stuff.

1st Blob of Text
So are DM ran a 1 shot with 8th characters to get accustomed to his world and Homebrew Rules. Now are DM has this thing called a “Rule Bend” where you change how certain thing works RAW so you can make builds through multiclassing more easily. He does this since he wants to throw dangerous encounters at us when we do fight. The more someone rule bends the harder the fights are. To see how serious he was I made a wonky warlock that was basically a Open Hand monk5/Tomelock (Hexblade)3 that used Wisdom that destroyed everything in his path and here we are now. We now are making a rogue/barbarian that isn’t completely broken as I was testing the rule in a one shot to see the absolute limits of it. I am the player that pokes the bear with the short and sharp stick. Is it a quirk anyone likes? No. But the whole table laughs when the DM loses it and my character dies in the one shots. In long campaigns I don’t poke the bear with a sharp and short stick, instead I do it with the long dull one. My personality problems aside and wait, do you not skip this blob of text like the TL;DR said that was in Neon Blue even though you just want to get to the help the random person on the internet since we are all are bored human beings that are socially depraved because of the virus? When something is in color it means it’s important.
I hope I didn’t offend anyone, since that last line that was most likely a Run-On Sentence was meant as a joke. As you can see I am bad at Comedy.

Build Rogue Barbarian
Wildhunt Shifter, Scout Rogue/Wolf Barbarian
Stats: 14 STR, 18 DEX, 17 CON, 10 INT, 20 WIS, and 6 CHA.
Stats I rolled were
14, 16, 17, 10, 18, 6 (Lucky I know and if you ask we roll in front of the DM as they watch and if we do something shady he has us reroll.)
Starting Feat: Magic Intitate Druid.
I already decided on my race as a Wildhunt Shifter and were I put my stats being 14 Strength, 18 Dexterity, 17 Constitution, 10 Intelligence, 20 Wisdom, and 6 Charisma. (Added Shifter Stat Increases.) A character that made his own weapons and never lived in Society probably would have crap Charisma and have high Dexterity and normal Intelligence and the stats can be explained that way. The main reason that I posted this and not think on my own is I want to know what level I should multiclass. I was thinking going rogue 4 to get the Sentinel and start multiclassing after that since Wolf Totem works well with Sentinel. Then when I get my next ability score 4 levels of Barbarian or 8th level of rogue if I stop at 3 levels of Barbarian. I’m set on Rogue/Barbarian Wildhunt Shifter.

Barbarian 5/ Rogue 3.

Gets you extra attack, plus Scout goodies and 2d6 sneak attack.

Why Magic initiate Druid? You cant sneak attack with Shilleligh (its not finesse) and if you use Wisdom with it, you dont get your Rage bonus damage either.

This is a terrible 'build' unless I'm missing something? Seriously it looks awful. You have 8 levels to play with, I could think of a dozen things more broken than this. If anything its actually subobtimal.

Your DM gives bonus feats at 1st level to everyone?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think you should ignore magic initiate (at least for shillelagh) and swap you strength and dexterity or strength and wisdom. To make the most out of this multiclass you really need to be using strength to attack while attacking with a finesse weapon like a dagger or scimitar to make use of the barbarian's rage abilities and the rogue's sneak attack. In this case, I'd probably also dual wield unless you want to use a shield for better AC since the lack of an ability modifier to damage for your off-hand will be slightly mitigated by your rage damage bonus.

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
Barbarian 5/ Rogue 3.

Gets you extra attack, plus Scout goodies and 2d6 sneak attack.

Why Magic initiate Druid? You cant sneak attack with Shilleligh (its not finesse) and if you use Wisdom with it, you dont get your Rage bonus damage either.

This is a terrible 'build' unless I'm missing something? Seriously it looks awful. You have 8 levels to play with, I could think of a dozen things more broken than this. If anything its actually subobtimal.

Your DM gives bonus feats at 1st level to everyone?
Yeah everyone gets a feat at level 1 and Vhumans aren’t allowed. DM gives you a feat based on your backstory. Sentinel was what I got from living with The Roaming Pack, which is a group of Wildhunt Shifters that acted similar to a wolf pack. I guess it makes sense that I would get it as they would wound there prey’s legs so they would stop moving.

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
I think you should ignore magic initiate (at least for shillelagh) and swap you strength and dexterity or strength and wisdom. To make the most out of this multiclass you really need to be using strength to attack while attacking with a finesse weapon like a dagger or scimitar to make use of the barbarian's rage abilities and the rogue's sneak attack. In this case, I'd probably also dual wield unless you want to use a shield for better AC since the lack of an ability modifier to damage for your off-hand will be slightly mitigated by your rage damage bonus.
I mostly want High Wisdom for Survival and Perception skills.

Remove ads