• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Role-playing effects from different types of Mushrooms

JaffaCakeFreak

Villager
I’m playing a wood elf Druid with a hermit background, this background allows for a discovery and I’ve settled on the following:

“Early on, whilst exploring the forest we call home we stumbled upon a long ago forgotten cave. The entrance to the cave was hidden very well by shrubbery. We found that the cave was full of many different types of mushrooms 🍄 Whilst we already had a natural connection to nature we found that these different shrooms enhanced our connection to nature, each type enhanced our connection in different ways. We had a lot of fun understanding and discovering their different uses. We named the cave “Cave of opulence””

I’m now trying to determine the different role play effects these mushrooms have. Using my herbalism kit I turn them into different types of teas, so far I have the following:

tree-tea become inspired to save the trees or converse with them to gain information.

animals-tea you become less kind or caring towards people. You're more likely to use short, curt responses, and are generally less likely to give or accept help from people preferring the company of animals.

death-tea you become compassionate towards the suffering of others and are more likely to "release" them from their torment ("Please, young goblin, why wont you let me help you" stab stab). Feel compelled to release the poor trapped goblin souls from their frail, mortal bodies (for example).

Party-tea you become very chill and relaxed, similar to the effects of getting high.

Come-hither-tea you become more flirtatious

The last two are more for fun, I’d like to have a few more effects that more focus on the connection to nature aspect. what other ways do these mushroom enhance my characters nature connection? I’d appreciate any suggestions you may have. Feel free to suggest edits/exp on whats already here!

Cyan Wisp

Explorer
I would very much like to meet your druid!

Connectivi-Tea - everything that happens to the imbiber seems connected in an extra-dimensional way. Nothing is a coincidence, nothing should be ignored. It all means something to their life in some way, like lessons from the universe.

Faerie Tea - the imbiber becomes convinced that invisible spirits of nature abound; their perception shifts to the borders of the real and the fae... shifting, flitting visions of entities who, in turn, take an interest in the imbiber's trespass.

Tea of the Spheres - the imbiber becomes aware of the music sitting just beyond hearing. Symphonic movement of the planets in their giddy celestial dance, the glorious march of sunrise, the aural weaving of molecules. So mesmerising is the music of the universe, that all thoughts of violence or conflict dissipate.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ascus-tea - you die and your body sprouts a new troop of mushrooms

Shambler-tea - you survive but your body still sprouts a troop of mushrooms

Myconid-tea - now you really know what its like to be a Mushroom

JaffaCakeFreak

Villager
I would very much like to meet your druid!

Connectivi-Tea - everything that happens to the imbiber seems connected in an extra-dimensional way. Nothing is a coincidence, nothing should be ignored. It all means something to their life in some way, like lessons from the universe.

Faerie Tea - the imbiber becomes convinced that invisible spirits of nature abound; their perception shifts to the borders of the real and the fae... shifting, flitting visions of entities who, in turn, take an interest in the imbiber's trespass.

Tea of the Spheres - the imbiber becomes aware of the music sitting just beyond hearing. Symphonic movement of the planets in their giddy celestial dance, the glorious march of sunrise, the aural weaving of molecules. So mesmerising is the music of the universe, that all thoughts of violence or conflict dissipate.
thanks! I can’t wait to fully meet her too, hopefully we’ll have our first session next Saturday.

Thank you for these great suggestions! I’ve added the first and last to my list, i do like the 2nd option I’m just not sure how I would role play that aspect?

Arvok

Explorer
Focus Tea - you gain advantage on Initiative rolls and Perception checks for 12 hours. After that time you suffer 1 level of exhalation.

Berzerker Tea - after consuming the tea you gain 2d6 temporary hit points. For the next 24 hours you cannot keep track of your hit points--the DM does it for you. The DM can tell you when you get injured but only describes the wounds in vague terms and you have a very reduced sense of pain so you don't really know how far you are from dropping unconscious.

Remove ads