RPG magazine question

The Grinning Frog

Explorer
Publisher
Issues.jpg

Okay, I've been meaning to ask for ages and as we now have 24 hours left on the magazine subscription Kickstarter for The Oracle which is my monthly RPG magazine this seems like a great time... here is my question:

Is The Oracle the ONLY print monthly RPG magazine in the world?

I've seen other ones that are digital, but I've yet to find any others that are also print. Are there any, and if so - what are they and where are they?

And for those who don't know of The Oracle (because I suck at marketing) we just released issue 37 so we are in our fourth year of publishing. System-neutral with a leaning towards classic DnD style fantasy because that's what I grew up with and what I like.

Also, the Kickstarter link in case you are curious: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the-oracle-rpg/fantasy-rpg-magazine-subscription

Some of you might know Mark Pole from Shop on the Borderlands. He once posted this regarding The Oracle:

The Grinning Frog is a small publisher that nevertheless manages to produce some really high-quality material, mostly for D&D 5th edition. The Oracle is their glossy magazine, packed with system-neutral (but generally with a D&D feel) content. This isn't the kind of RPG magazine that is bulked out with reviews and chat. Instead, each issue gives you 50+ pages of solid RPG inspiration. Highly recommended. (The reason we tend to have 'Mint and New' and 'Near Mint' copies of each issue is that I usually sit down and read each issue cover-to-cover myself, looking for ideas for my own D&D campaign.)

Mark Poles, Owner, Shop on the Borderlands

There may be others, but their print runs and reach are so small; they might as well not exist. At the very least, they are endangered and we should do whatever we can to support them.

Sadly, the rare person who yearns for a return of physical magazine never seem to be around when operations like the OP reach out for support.

Good luck though.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I had a pretty old thread on enworld here asking this question once . . .
The one I am most aware of is Knights of the Dinner Table Magazine. It is about 50% comic. But it is at the same time 100% a print gaming magazine that has been going for 306 Issues.

Nice to know about Oracle.

The Grinning Frog

Explorer
Publisher
I had a pretty old thread on enworld here asking this question once . . .
The one I am most aware of is Knights of the Dinner Table Magazine. It is about 50% comic. But it is at the same time 100% a print gaming magazine that has been going for 306 Issues.

Nice to know about Oracle.
I had vaguely heard of that, I thought it was a comic/funny book publication. And on issue 306? Well, that's amazing quite honestly. I will track down a copy.

The Grinning Frog

Explorer
Publisher
There may be others, but their print runs and reach are so small; they might as well not exist. At the very least, they are endangered and we should do whatever we can to support them.

Sadly, the rare person who yearns for a return of physical magazine never seem to be around when operations like the OP reach out for support.

Good luck though.
Thanks very much. Maybe the reason we don't have more of the magazines is that in reality people don't want more of the magazines. Still, I have a core group of people who buy it and a group who float in and out from issue to issue so whilst that happens, I'll keep going.

Remove ads