Runequest 2nd Ed: Tale of Flameshot - Glory of Yelmalio [FINAL UPDATE 6th Jun]

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Glory of Yelmalio

In the flickering light of the lantern, five of the beasts were visible ahead, and five more to the right. Most were armed with slings, but two were more powerful, one calling on a spell to grow his arm to oversized proportions, and the second used battle magic to cover his hide in a silvery sheen, gleaming and scintillating in the rays of our light. Liverpate reacted first among us, calling on Humakt to aid him with a prayer as I sent a flaming javelin deep into the oversized arm of one of our foe’s leaders, causing him to bellow in pain.

Finding their sling stones did us little harm, the five ahead rushed us, Hoisin and Khaki finally reacting, bringing weapons to bear as combat began. Foul magic swept over me, and my mind was distracted by the myriad of sights and sounds surrounding me. A blurred man-scorpion struck at me, his club jarring my leg but lifting me out of my hallucination. Liverpate and Khaki had already struck down one apiece, and the second group rushed to fill the gap. The large Humakti sheared through the body of a third as they approached, and severed a head as they engaged, leaving one apiece for my allies and myself hard-pressed with a trio of the beasts.

We proved the stronger warriors again, crushing tails and splintering clubs, Hoisin cutting down his opponent as I took a solid blow to the chest and a stinger in the leg, battling on through despite my wounds. Khaki severed the leg of hers to leave even numbers as Hoisin moved to aid me, his two blades working in bloody concert. Feeling the toxins coursing through my leg and further into my body, I took on a defensive stance, finishing off one I had wounded with a disrupting battle spell. We now outnumbered them as Liverpate moved up and I called on Hoisin to staunch my wounds with magic.

The world around started to move in a slow and exaggerated manner, as a club bounced off my shield and a man-scorpion moved easily from the path of my spear, Liverpate shouting something droning and unintelligible in my ear. The beasts before me, and my allies grew taller as a numbness crept up my poisoned leg, growing blurred and indistinct as everyone around loomed above me, followed by the clatter of my spear on the ground beside me.

A faint light started to illuminate the cave around and I could see my allies once more, cutting down the man-scorpions with savage fury. My shouts and calls to them went unheard, and as the light grew stronger around me, I noticed a familiar armoured human body slumped among the man-scorpion mutants. There was no flicker of movement or life in that body, surrounded by scattered spears and javelins, shield buried under the corpse of a felled beasts.

I felt a pull toward the sky, strangely visible though the cavern roof, even as I tried to return to my companions. The light grew blinding and I heard the sounds of gryphons and birds, of distant voices not heard in many years. A familiar overwhelming presence joined the sounds, and my last glimpse of my three companions saw them desperately grabbing at my mortal remains. My desire to return waned as I surged up to the light, to join my family, the Sun and the Sky.

I am no more for the mortal world.

My Tale is at an end.

Remove ads