Saturday AM: Alma Mater (Dresden Files) (Full -- Accepting Alts)

In fancy now, beneath the twilight gloom,
Come, let me lead thee o'er this "second Rome!"
Where tribunes rule, where dusky Davi bow,
And what was Goose-Creek once is Tiber now:
This embryo capital, where Fancy sees
Squares in morasses, obelisks in trees;
Which second-sighted seers, even now, adorn
With shrines unbuilt and heroes yet unborn.

Folklore has it that the Pierre L'Enfante, a Freemason, designed the city of Washington, D.C. around a series of Satanic symbols to assure the dominance of the New World Order. It's the granddaddy of conspiracy theories, and like most, contains a kernel of truth.

In reality, the Freemasons were puppets of the White Council, that august body of wizards tasked with keeping humanity safe from the things that lurk in the shadows. They recognized the role the nascent capital would play in the decades to come, and wove arcane protections into everything from the city streets to the oaths of office.

Today, the White Council's protections keep the vampire courts and the Nevernever factions from exercising direct control, but immortality has taught them patience, and they've had more than enough time to infiltrate the corridors of power. A supernatural Cold War exists between the Vampire Courts and the Nevernever, with the unsuspecting humans mere proxies in the struggle.

A cryptic note has called you back to the city, to the grounds of your alma mater, Georgetown University.

(Pregens provided, but I'd like to engage the players ahead of time via email or chat in rounding out the connections between them.)

1. Sidereal Knight
2. Ben
3. Dorgin Malgard
4. Divine Obsession
5. Psion

Alt 1 Dovaj
Alt 2 Funeris
Alt 3 Cutter XIII

Last edited:

How did this turn out, folks? :) find me today for some dfrpg bookmarks!

D'oh. Didn't see this until just now. I do have a plethora of bookmarks, though, from when I pre-ordered the books. As I take great pleasure in reminding madwabbit.

It went well, I think. I ran the same game at Boston Gameday last weekend, and it went pretty much the same. It takes a while for new players to grok the flexibility and importance of Aspects. I'm at a loss for a good way to introduce them in play as opposed to just outright explaining them with examples. A couple times I coached a player in how they could incorporate aspects into their actions, hopefully doing so in such a way as to open their eyes to the possibilities and not play their character for them.

I really dig the game. It's probably the best written and engaging RPG I've read in ages, kind of the anti-4e in that it just oozes inspiration from every page. Can't wait for our campaign to get off the ground.

Psion

Adventurer
It went well, I think. I ran the same game at Boston Gameday last weekend, and it went pretty much the same. It takes a while for new players to grok the flexibility and importance of Aspects. I'm at a loss for a good way to introduce them in play as opposed to just outright explaining them with examples.

My experience with this is that some players grok it fairly quickly and do it frequently (perhaps too frequently...), and others just can't wrap their head around the concept.

Fortunately for me, the group I ran in my Sunday Rocket Corps game seemed to be substantially the former type.

Sidereal Knight

First Post
I really enjoyed playing this session. I feel like it was a good introduction to the Fate system, although I agree that not all of us understood or were able to apply the aspects as well as we probably could have. That comes with time and practice, I think.

Remove ads