• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saving throws...

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Here's a quick one I'm too lazy to look up before going to bed...

When a Supernatural or other ability asks for a saving throw, such as Fortitude save DC 15, but it says this is a Charisma-based save, what does that mean?

1. Does it mean that the target's Fort save is modified by its Charisma bonus? Or,

2. Does it simply mean that the power is based off the creature that is using the power's Charisma?

If it's the second option, how does that have any relevance to the game itself? My apologies if this one has been answered before. I'm really tired....

JimAde

First Post
Answer 2 is correct. It means the creature's Charisma modifier was used in calculating the save DC. It's important in case the creature's Charisma changes for some reason (like a Bestow Curse Spell for example) or if you make an advanced/non-standard individual creature with a different Charisma ability.

Dracomeander

First Post
It means the Save DC is based off of the Charisma of the creature using the ability. If you alter the Charisma of the creature, you need to adjust the DC of the Save accordingly.

Most Save DC formulas for creature abilities are based off of DC = (10 + 1/2 creature's HD + Ability Mod) so if the creature is advanced in any way the Save DC of its abilities need to be advanced as well.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Dracomeander said:
Most Save DC formulas for creature abilities are based off of DC = (10 + 1/2 creature's HD + Ability Mod) so if the creature is advanced in any way the Save DC of its abilities need to be advanced as well.
Not "in any way." In many/most cases, such special ability DC's are based only on the racial HD, not class HD. So, if you advance a creature by class, then likely its special ability DC's will not be increased.

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
I thought as much. Thanks all for your replies. That helps clarify a few things. One last thing, how is it determined which Ability the save is modified by? By creature type? Just an arbitrary thing by whoever created the creature?

werk

First Post
It usually depends on the ability...what it comes from or what it's related to. i.e. trample is Str, gaze attacks and energy drain are Cha, etc.

But, as you've noticed, high-Cha monsters usually have Cha-based abilities...as makes sense.

shadowbloodmoon said:
I thought as much. Thanks all for your replies. That helps clarify a few things. One last thing, how is it determined which Ability the save is modified by? By creature type? Just an arbitrary thing by whoever created the creature?

If it's poison, it's usually Con-based.

If it's magical, it's usually Cha-based (like Sorceror spells).

If it's physical, it's usually Con-based, and when it's not it's usually Str-based.

There is some logic behind the choices, so they aren't completely arbitrary.

Remove ads