• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotBS Scaling WotBS #1

roderickvd

First Post
I've got a group of 7 PC's I'll be running WotBS with. Not all of them will be there all the time, but I'll have to count on it to happen. Adventure #1 does mention that the encounters will have to be adjusted to shoot all PC's to level 4 and just above. Any of you have any suggestion in that regard: what to add to which encounters?

merchantsteve

Explorer
Wow! 7!
OK, really off the cuff first crack for the first couple of encounters. With 7 players, the XP count needs to increase by 2,000 for the 2nd level. Then up another 2500 to get to third level.

Encounter 1
Make 1/2 the minions at the poison apple into 1st level thugs. That will beef up the XP and provide a challenge. Up the scouts to 2nd level. Add +1 to all defenses and attacks and increase the HP to 36. Have one wall of the pub collapse and open into the street. This will allow more maneuver room for the larger combat. This also gets the dogs and Kathor in. The primary player escape route should be through the wall or doors. Up the XP accordingly (+200).

Scene 3, Quest 3 just up the XP to 350 (+250). This adds story XP but doesn't hurt the players. If you want to have a game-related effect, then go for this -
Panicked characters suffer a -2 to Will defense for 1 hour or until they succeedl a saving throw in the next encounter's rounds.
This will simulate their rattled nerves for the next encounter.
Scene 3, Quest 4. Up the Level to 3 (adding +75 XP)

Act 2: the depository - OK, there were 3 thieves plus Larion and two of them stayed behind to hide the dead orc's body in one of the lockers. They come in 2 rounds after any fighting breaks out. Use the 2nd Level elf scouts from the MM (+250 XP)

Flaganus Mortus. Draw the PCs into the house, then get Flaganus to exit it just as the house begins collapsing. Use the collapsing ceiling hazards from the pub. (+300 XP). Set his HP to full and draw Opportunity attacks if needed to escape out.

White Wyrms: Add 1 more storm mage and 2 more bandits (+425). This encounter will be really tough, so you could drop the extra mage and add 1 more guard (+400)

Dead Rising: Double the size of the tomb. Easiest way is to mirror image the crypt so it looks like a 'T'. Add 1 more boneshard and 4 more decrepit skeletons (+300 XP)

Conservatively at +1,500 XP so far.

Add an opportunity encounter while going to Gabal's school. Have a crashed young dragon and rider (from the bad snowfall). Use the DMG Encounter (Area 5. The True Threat pg. 218), but use the 'Duel' map for the locations. Add a 'Black Horse Lietenant' to the mix (just make him a Ragesian). (+800 XP)

Make the Shealis Skill Challenge Level 4 (+75 XP)

Spies' Headquarters: Up the number of Feywild badgers to 4 and add 2 more Shahalesti Warriors (+425 XP)

That should get you through to Act 3.

Regards!

Last edited:

roderickvd

First Post
Man, you guys at E.N. continue to surprise. Awesome, thanks! I expect to start this campaign with a couple of weeks and report back with my findings.

Remove ads