• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SCAP - Which Issues?

Henrix

Explorer
I'm running both, for different parties (and mostly different players).

Age of Worms is much more coherent, and it is harder to skip a few adventures as they are all more tied in to the story.
You probably can, if you really wish, especially if you made an effort to get some of the background and stuff available to the characters, but you'd be missing out on some great building up of it all.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Age of Worms, actually, wouldn't be too hard to start "late", as it were. The modules are decently scalable. The first few modules are definately good to play, though - they set up the backstory elegantly and have a lot of tie-ins to the higher level stuff. And they're quite deadly, and epic enough that it won't seem like the mid level party is taking on a quest that doesn't fit anymore. Ancient tombs, sinister cults, armies of lizardfolk... fun for all ages!

Demiurge out.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, I'm kinda inclined more towards AoW at the moment. My players will kill me if I force them to create new characters, though, so I have to shoehorn it into the current 7th level campaign somehow. Hopefully doable with a bit pf work.

Shroomy

Adventurer
It is definitely doable (shoehorning the AoW into a 7th level campaign that is), but I think you lose a lot by bypassing the events in Diamond Lake. It is beautifully developed with tons o' opportunity for roleplaying, the connection to the Vaati taps into a great mythological vein, and I really like the overall arc of dirt poor nobodies rising from obscurity to not only fight an emerging, apocalyptic threat, but to also, to possible rule an oppressed nation. In short, I would convince your players to start back at 1st level; besides "The Whispering Cain" rules....

Henrix

Explorer
For starting at level seven I think Shackled City would be better. That is about when it starts kicking and thinsgs start to happen.
The Heart of Darkness/Apcalypse now-inspired Zenith Trajectory is probably a really good place to start.

AoW is actually better, but a lot of the really good things work out best if you start in Diamond Lake and run through it all.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Henrix said:
For starting at level seven I think Shackled City would be better. That is about when it starts kicking and thinsgs start to happen.
The Heart of Darkness/Apcalypse now-inspired Zenith Trajectory is probably a really good place to start.
I concur with Henrix. And thinking on it some more, I do agree that ZT would be a good starting point for 7th level characters. The mod was designed for L6, but there are some really deadly encounters in Bhal-Hamatugn that should give higher level PCs a run for their money. I am thinking of a particular spot where the PCs face three EL9 encounters in in quick succession... and if they are real unlucky, they could end up facing all 3 at once.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads