Scheduling Thread for the IRON DM 2020 Tournament!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Some ideas on theme weeks, in no particular order (and of variable usefulness):

Random Encounter Week
Contestants compete with each other to develop the best random encounter. Each contestant has 24 hours to write a random encounter that fits the brief set forth by the judges. The brief can be a list of ingredients, a specific monster or terrain, a theme, whatever. If it were up to me, I'd stay away from making it game-specific or edition-specific.

Cartography Week
As above, except the brief is to develop a map of some sort. See the comments upthread about potential pitfalls.

Beach Week
To kick off the start of summer, the contestants must write a beach-themed adventure. The judges provide a brief full of summertime, beach-party ingredients.

NPC Week
The judges provide a brief to the contestants to write a colorful, imaginative, and detailed Non-Player Character. Especially if the NPC isn't a standard humanoid...I'd love to see functional NPCs built from ghouls, oozes, or elementals. As always, I think this should avoid being edition-specific, and shouldn't include game mechanics or stat blocks.

Free RPG Week (for the week of July 25th)
The judges choose one or more of the free products available for download on Free RPG Day, and the contestants must create an adventure or whatever from those ingredients. I think this could be really fun.

Monster Week
As above, except the brief is to create a brand-new monster. If it were up to me, I'd avoid making it specific to a particular game or edition...I'd avoid stat blocks altogether and focus more on descriptions, ecology, and non-mechanical descriptions of attacks (Writing "this monster breathes fire" would be fine, but writing "this monster's breath weapon deals 4d6 fire damage on a failed DC 12 Dexterity save" would not be.)

Riddle Week
The contestants must create a riddle, puzzle, cipher, or similar brain-teaser. This is always the hardest part of writing an adventure for me, and I'd love to see what others come up with.

Trap Week
Just what's printed on the tin. The contestants must create an interesting trap or environmental hazard based on the judges' brief. As with the NPCs and the monsters, I think this would work best if it weren't edition-specific, and didn't include specific game mechanics.

Golden Oldies Week
The judges pick a classic adventure module that is long out of print, like "Keep on the Borderlands" or "Under the Dark Fist," and the contestants must write a re-imagined version of it. Maybe they update it for the next generation? Maybe they "fix it" with a new and improved version? Maybe they import it into a completely different campaign setting or game system?

Finals Week
All of the gold-star winners' ingredients are combined into a single brief! The last three finalists must write an adventure using some (or all) of the previous winning ingredients: the winning monster, the winning riddle, the winning NPC, etc.

Welcome to Beach Week!
Write an adventure using the following ingredients:
  • Beach Towel
  • Sand Castle
  • Giant Crustacean
  • Sunburn
  • Killer Mai Tai
Your adventure must take place entirely on a beach of some sort.
Your adventure must be 750 words or fewer.
You have 24 hours, starting now. Good luck!

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
Some ideas on theme weeks, in no particular order (and of variable usefulness):

Random Encounter Week
Contestants compete with each other to develop the best random encounter. Each contestant has 24 hours to write a random encounter that fits the brief set forth by the judges. The brief can be a list of ingredients, a specific monster or terrain, a theme, whatever. If it were up to me, I'd stay away from making it game-specific or edition-specific.

Cartography Week
As above, except the brief is to develop a map of some sort. See the comments upthread about potential pitfalls.

Beach Week
To kick off the start of summer, the contestants must write a beach-themed adventure. The judges provide a brief full of summertime, beach-party ingredients.

NPC Week
The judges provide a brief to the contestants to write a colorful, imaginative, and detailed Non-Player Character. Especially if the NPC isn't a standard humanoid...I'd love to see functional NPCs built from ghouls, oozes, or elementals. As always, I think this should avoid being edition-specific, and shouldn't include game mechanics or stat blocks.

Free RPG Week (for the week of July 25th)
The judges choose one or more of the free products available for download on Free RPG Day, and the contestants must create an adventure or whatever from those ingredients. I think this could be really fun.

Monster Week
As above, except the brief is to create a brand-new monster. If it were up to me, I'd avoid making it specific to a particular game or edition...I'd avoid stat blocks altogether and focus more on descriptions, ecology, and non-mechanical descriptions of attacks (Writing "this monster breathes fire" would be fine, but writing "this monster's breath weapon deals 4d6 fire damage on a failed DC 12 Dexterity save" would not be.)

Riddle Week
The contestants must create a riddle, puzzle, cipher, or similar brain-teaser. This is always the hardest part of writing an adventure for me, and I'd love to see what others come up with.

Trap Week
Just what's printed on the tin. The contestants must create an interesting trap or environmental hazard based on the judges' brief. As with the NPCs and the monsters, I think this would work best if it weren't edition-specific, and didn't include specific game mechanics.

Golden Oldies Week
The judges pick a classic adventure module that is long out of print, like "Keep on the Borderlands" or "Under the Dark Fist," and the contestants must write a re-imagined version of it. Maybe they update it for the next generation? Maybe they "fix it" with a new and improved version? Maybe they import it into a completely different campaign setting or game system?

Finals Week
All of the gold-star winners' ingredients are combined into a single brief! The last three finalists must write an adventure using some (or all) of the previous winning ingredients: the winning monster, the winning riddle, the winning NPC, etc.

Welcome to Beach Week!
Write an adventure using the following ingredients:
  • Beach Towel
  • Sand Castle
  • Giant Crustacean
  • Sunburn
  • Killer Mai Tai
Your adventure must take place entirely on a beach of some sort.
Your adventure must be 750 words or fewer.
You have 24 hours, starting now. Good luck!
May I suggest you repost this in the other thread, so it will be easier to find later?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
A final note for this thread:

For those who want an easy reminder of when sign up for the next IRON DM or its spin offs is going to be, I recommend signing up for the new IRON DM ALERT newsletter. We promise no spam - just IRON DM reminder goodness.

Also for those interested in contributing to a discussion on the past and future of IRON DM (and its spin-offs) check out the IRON DM DISCUSSION thread.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I want to say that was @Iron Sky? We should see if it’s a record.

Children Of Death (my first entry ever) was "only" 6767 words

Most of the rest of mine clocked in around the 3500-5000 word range.

I pushed hard for actual word count limits since I lost several matches due to entries that were "too long". When I asked "too long for what word count" I usually got non-answers. My favorite loosing judgment, however, was "this feels like a campaign, not an adventure." :p

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'd like to invite all the lurkers, contributors, Iron DMs, and judges to participate in a fun little writing contest that I created. The day before yesterday. In like, ten minutes. On a whim.

It's the Pumpkin Pie Spice Writing Contest! This contest is open to any ENWorld member, and there's a real prize: a £25 gift certificate to the EN Publishing online store. All contributions of all kinds are welcome, from monsters and magic items, to battle maps and VTT monster tokens, to entire adventures...but they all must involve Pumpkin, Pie, and/or Spice in some way. Come join the folly, and maybe win some cool RPG stuff!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Dammit, I thought there was a new Iron Gm on the horizon.
I mean, there could be...

Field of Dreams 30 day movie challenge GIF

In the meantime, how about a Pumpkin Pie Spice-flavored warmup round?

Remove ads