• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Search for threads started by me results

Herzog

Adventurer
When I go to my profile and search for 'recent threads started by <me>' I get:

-results 1-10 of 11 (and no possibility to go to a next page of search results)
-6 threads I started in 2005, 1 thread I started in 2004, 1 thread I started in 2008 in which someone posted fairly recent, 1 thread I started in 2012, and 1 thread I started in 2013.

The reason I used this was to find a thread I started around two years ago, which I can't seem to find anymore.
Funny thing is, when I searched using google for the subject of the thread, it popped up right at the top of the results list, and the link worked. So I KNOW it is in the database.

Now, I can imagine this being:
-the result of the current server performance
-the result of actively reducing search results because of reduced server performance
-the result of migrating the database to the new server

but you have to admit it is a kind of strange result to be getting.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Zireael

Explorer
Well, when I tried to search threads started by me (for a similar reason), I got a no-permissions error. Something is definitely wonky there.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I love these easy balls!

When I go to my profile and search for 'recent threads started by <me>' I get:

-results 1-10 of 11 (and no possibility to go to a next page of search results)
-6 threads I started in 2005, 1 thread I started in 2004, 1 thread I started in 2008 in which someone posted fairly recent, 1 thread I started in 2012, and 1 thread I started in 2013.

The reason I used this was to find a thread I started around two years ago, which I can't seem to find anymore.
Funny thing is, when I searched using google for the subject of the thread, it popped up right at the top of the results list, and the link worked. So I KNOW it is in the database.

Now, I can imagine this being:
-the result of the current server performance
-the result of actively reducing search results because of reduced server performance
-the result of migrating the database to the new server

but you have to admit it is a kind of strange result to be getting.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Yup. We need to close the site and rebuild the entire search index. I tried it on the older server, which is why it got partway then died, resulting in the partial results you currently see.

Well, when I tried to search threads started by me (for a similar reason), I got a no-permissions error. Something is definitely wonky there.

Search is only available to subscribers, I'm afraid!

As far as I see, in Advanced Search there's not a dropdown menu that includes the option Posts. There's a two column list with check boxes, one of which includes Posts, but when I check that and do a search for ZEITGEIST, I just get threads, not posts.

Ah, apparently I was in the 'search multiple content types' tab. Trying again with the single type. At the bottom there's an option to show results as posts. That worked.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads