Second Son of a Second Son: Timotheus' Prayers

Ciaran

First Post
17 Sek 637 (morning)

Hail, Blessed Lady. We’re finally getting out of the lizardman fort, and Sir Quintus is with us, so the lizards were as good as their word. Please watch over us and help us get out of the swamp, and maybe send us a couple of real monsters to kill, or maybe some bandits or something.

Last edited:

Ciaran

First Post
17 Sek 637 (evening)

Lady Nephthys, thank you for guiding us safely back to civilization. It’s always nice to see a new town, and I look forward to exploring the place. I guess I’m surprised at how big New Harbinger is. The fort’s certainly a lot bigger than I thought. I doubt they’re in more danger here from the Rubes than we are from the hobs. Maybe they’re just showing off because they have the money. That’s another reason for us to go to the King Stones, and to go and clear out the mines at Aerothen, too. I hope that T.K. and I can persuade the others to give that a go. I figure that a few adventures before then will stiffen his spine a bit, and anyway, I’m sure he’ll want to help make things better for the folks back home.

Speaking of persuading the others, I know you’re the goddess of friendship, so I pray you, please help us out with a little bit of it. I thought that Markos was just a little crazy from the yellow stuff… no, I hoped that was it, but it looks like I was wrong. He’s back to normal, and he still won’t stop arguing with everyone all the time over stupid sh*t. I hoped that the beat-down Victoria gave him would knock some sense into him, but nothing's changed.

On the subject of crazy kids, this is where my foster brother’s family lives. Heydricus, that is, not Ryle, who doesn’t really count, since I wasn’t really part of the household back when he was around. Anyway, I figure I should meet them and tell them how things are going. Which is pretty good, really; Heydricus is settled down some, but he’s still a handful. The kid’s got spunk, though, which is good. He should really make something of himself someday, assuming he doesn’t break his neck in some damn fool stunt. He’s also a good influence on Felix; it’s good to see something that’ll pull that kid out of a book and out from behind his mother’s skirt.

Yeah. If the Swanns are anything like the kid, this could actually be a fun stopover. Hells, I’ll take anything other than the political snoozefest that T.K. is looking for. Anyway, we’re at the inn. May your thoughts be with us, Lady Nephthys, in all our doings. Amen.

Last edited:

Ciaran

First Post
Comments from the author

After re-reading my last few entries, I went back and edited them to be a little less irreverent. I've been working hard on maintaining Timotheus' colloquial tone and occasionally foul mouth in play, and it's spilled over more heavily into his prayers than I'd originally intended. It's a new experience -- and a challenge -- to try and maintain two distinct 'voices' for a single character.

Expect more entries soon. Bleys has surged ahead in his diarizing -- Timotheus must catch up!

Ciaran

First Post
17 Sek 637 (late night)

Blessed Nephthys, it looks like things are finally going our way. Dunlevey’s a treasure; I thank you for sending us someone who’s not just a good fighter, but who could actually be a friend. This hasn’t been the first time I’ve fought with people I didn’t like on my side, but all the rest the same, I’d rather have a band of brothers than a… well, a band of cousins who’ve always got to be a Gods-damned pain in the ass.

Isis, you’re the goddess of silver, right? Please send a little our way; I hate being broke and I hate being in debt. Or is it Geb? Or maybe Bes, or Bast? I dunno. Anyway, whoever’s looking out for us, give us a bit of cash to do it with and we’ll go do good works in your name. Okay? Please. Anyway, uh, hail the gods, and hail Nephthys. Amen.

Ciaran

First Post
19 Sek 637 (evening)

Blessed Bes, why do you hate me? Everything was going so well a couple of days ago. And now we’ve fired Dunlevey and we’re going off on this stupid pirate spying business instead of doing some proper adventuring at the Kingstones. And odds are, now we’re never gonna be able to hire another decent mercenary for years, if ever. Not that this gang would understand that. None of ‘em have ever had to work for a living. They don’t understand that being a mercenary’s all about reputation, and that’s all about working for people with a good reputation. And hiring folks and firing them a week later ‘cause you changed your mind, then ditching ‘em in some other town with nothing to add to their reputation except a couple of silvers, even after you just came into a big stash of cash, well, that’s not gonna do our rep any good.

I wonder if Telie even understands what he’s done? I thought he was just being a prick. I mean, now he has his own man who takes orders from him, so he gets to be the only one. And he has a whole pile of silvers now, and he says taking on a couple men is too expensive? Come on! But even after a few stints on the Lethe roads, I don’t think he really gets what it means to earn your own bread based on what you can do and what you’ve done, not an allowance from your rich old dad. Not like he was paying any attention anyway; he never did much on the road other drink and sing and try and get into every guardswoman’s chainmail panties. And I guess Markos doesn’t get it either; maybe being a pirate isn’t the same as being a guard. And if those two don’t get it, the other three don’t stand a chance. Probably never will, either. I can’t imagine any of ‘em having to earn their own bread. Odds are they’d starve.

I could have argued with ‘em about it, gods know, but what would be the point? They were willing to ditch some good men and skimp on our odds of survival just to save a few silvers. Even if I’d convinced ‘em, sooner or later they would have found some crippled excuse why they just had to get rid of the men so’s we could go off and do something on our own, and then they’d be surprised that the good ones wouldn’t hire back on with us after. Better we lose ‘em after a week and look like clueless novices, than we hang onto ‘em for months before blowing them off in some backwater somewhere. Dunlevey likes me and Falco doesn’t talk, so I doubt they’ll make a big deal in the merc dives. But if we screwed a crew out of a job when they could’ve spent those months under some reputable employer, word of that would never die, and we’d be stuck with the lazies and the crazies and the just plain stupid ‘till the end of days.

Dunno what to do about it now, though. Lady Isis, Lady Nephthys, please give me some ideas on this thing. I’ll keep my mouth shut in the meantime. No point getting in another damn argument with this mule-headed crew. When I figure out what to do, I’ll do it my own self. I’m gonna make this work, keep these guys safe and make Thricia safer, even if I have to fight ‘em every step of the way. I pray you’ll help us, great ones. Grant us your favors and your blessings, and maybe a lick or two of good sense. Hail Nephthys, and Isis, and Anhur, and all the rest. Amen.

Last edited:

Remove ads