• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Selling that Elven Armband

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
In the party treasure, we have a silver elven armband, with a 'list price' of 75gp.

I said to Russ that I'd post my 'sales pitch' here, rather than roleplaying it, as it's fairly drawn out and would get boring for everyone else.

Step 1: Find rich elf (we have one in the form of the mine-owner in Diamond Lake).
Step 2: Disguise self as an explorer with mud on my boots.
Step 3: Cast Disguise Self spell to make myself look like a smarter and more well-dressed version of above with no mud on, as well as losing a few pounds and changing hair colour a bit more. (That way, if he sees through the spell, I still have the regular disguise to fall back on).

The background is an explorer whose findings need to be brought to market, but the horse died up the road. I can't carry all the larger parts to Greyhawk, so need to finance a new horse by selling a choice item or two. Hence the selling of one item in a hurry before anyone can find where I stashed the rest of the findings.

Step 3: When speaking to the elf, explain that the armband is mentioned in song.
Step 4: Sing him the song (Using the lute, my perform bonus is presently +15). This should be an existing song, at least at first. Something about an elf lord of remarkable purity (we'll call him Zinfandel the White) who managed to mortally offend a group of nymphs by not wanting to sleep with them. They later seduced a second elf lord and sent him to duel Zinfandel. I figure this sort of thing would be elf-ballad fare, and something similar must be in existence.
Step 5: Whilst singing this song, try to fascinate the elf. (His will save vs. my perform check. As this isn't an attack, he merely isn't fascinated if it fails).
Step 6: Add an additional verse to the song, in which the elf prepares for his duel by getting dressed for it. (It's the sort of thing elves would have in their tiresome ballads). Make specific details of the clothes he's wearing, and particular mention of the silver armband, describing it to match the one I'm selling. (Bluff skill of +11, but he gets a -4 modifier to his Sense Motive if he's fascinated).
Step 7: Sell the damn thing to him. If it's all worked properly, he should be all excited and willing to pay over the odds for it. If not, my diplomacy modifier is still +15.
Step 8: Leave. Go to bar. Disguise Self spell again to change appearance. Go elsewhere. Invisibility. Should be enough to shake off any tails, just in case.

Thoughts? Comments? Observations? Criticisms? Abuse?

Remove ads