Shadowdark, Kelsey makes a new monster. The Pied Piper.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's a pretty creepy version of the classic character.

I would rather these Monsters of the Month weren't mostly unique individuals lately, but I can't argue with the resulting write-ups.

darjr

I crit!
Gotta admit I don't understand the enthusiasm across the hobby for solo mode.

Then again, I never understood the appeal of Critical Role, either. So there's that.
It’s like choose your own adventure. But with an RPG. I choose prepping and/or running or playing over that though.

I’m kinda intrigued though. Especially for trying a coop sort of game session. Maybe someday.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Folks who have no trouble getting people to play with are not the primary audience for solo RPGs. Even in 2023, there are plenty of people who feel like they can't find a group they like to play with and ENWorld is littered with horror stories of people playing with clearly the wrong group for them, but who can't find an alternative.

That said, don't knock it before you try it. My runthrough of Thousand Year Old Vampire last year was one of the most profound gaming experiences I've had. (Colostle, on the other hand, earlier this year, was kind of a mixed bag -- extremely evocative setting with weak mechanics.)

And the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks from the early 1980s are as much a part of my gaming DNA as AD&D is. I would put Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Citadel of Chaos, Deathtrap Dungeon, City of Thieves and the Sorcery series up against any adventures TSR put out in the same period.

I suspect there are going to be quite a few people who will find SoloDark fun, especially as the risk of death is so high, so I imagine play will be pretty tense, when playing to "win."

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I don't know, it sort of sounds like drinking alone...

...oh, wait. I think I get it now. Count me in.

Remove ads