OSR [Shadowdark] What's missing from the 3.5 SRD that is worth converting?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Kelsey follow an old school advice : ”feel free to adapt the game to fit your needs”.
she do it to the point that she made an entire new game!
But we can feel the call to make this game our own. My self I have a lot of fun rewriting the spell mishap table.
The game has basic rules, it is quite easy to add new classes.
The PC are also quite fragile, and balance don’t matter that much, so if you do bad job for a home brew rule it will be more funny than frustrating.
Here's the thing, though: When Kelsey sits down to make stuff for the game, like she did yesterday with the bard class, she explicitly goes back to D&D. She talked through all the iterations of it in D&D, going back through first edition, as she was deciding what to put in the Shadowdark version.

Homebrewing conversions of D&D is at the heart of the game.

Last edited:

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
And if you want to, filter them out. None of us are doing this as a job, except @Umbran and we don’t explain his situation until we’ve put the children to bed. :) As people say stuff you just don’t want to see or deal with, take them out of the scene as you experience it.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Even when I try to get into Shadowdark, someone comes along saying something like this and yet again pushes me away. sigh Yeah, maybe this game really isn't for me. Oh well.

Which is totally fine! Not every system is meant for every play style!

I was all emotionally invested in One D&D and worried about all the class changes. Then I read Shadowdark and realized WotC was never in a million years going to publish the game that I want anyway, so instead of wishing it would I should just play a game I actually like.

Remove ads