• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ship Size Naming Convention

Which NAME system to use for ships?

• Starwars d20 system

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • DragonStar system

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Whole new set of names

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I got another idea, see my reply

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I liked a system in a reply to this post

• Nothing listed works for me

BlackJaw

First Post
One of the important things we need to nail down right now are terms.

The following lists the options, but keep in mind these are all just options for how to NAME the system. The system most people have agreed on is to just logicaly extend the size system already in DnD.

1) Do we make the naming system like startwars, where it uses the same size defining terms as normal DnD, but offset by 3 or 4 places so that a Tiny Ship is say a Large Object?
Pros: Makes sense. A Medium sized space ship under this system is as big as a house, not a human. Works with starwars d20.
Cons: When you have ships dealing with things not classified ship sizes, like dragons or other monsters, you have to deal with converting and a problem of having one descriptive term mean two difrent things at the same time.

2) Do we use the Dragon Star System, where we extend the standard size system and call the new sizes either new terms (which no one has thought up yet) or Collosal II, III, IV, etc.
Pros: No converting, one term doesn't mean 2 things at once, compatible with Dragon Star (which is OGC.)
Cons: Dosen't make much sense to call something the size of a dog a "small space ship." Very counter intutive.

3) We make up a whole new naming convention for crafts so there's no confusion but a bit of converting. Technicaly it works just like the above systems.
Pros: no confusion
Cons: a bit more complex.

kingpaul

First Post
BlackJaw said:
2) Do we use the Dragon Star System, where we extend the standard size system and call the new sizes either new terms (which no one has thought up yet) or Collosal II, III, IV, etc.
Pros: No converting, one term doesn't mean 2 things at once, compatible with Dragon Star (which is OGC.)
Cons: Dosen't make much sense to call something the size of a dog a "small space ship." Very counter intutive.
Personally, I say stick with the DragonStar naming convention, as it is OGC, and StarWars is not. However, I can see something the size of a dog called a "small space ship"...pixies go into space to, don't they? :)

ax0n

First Post
Mongoose?

I think we should use the Star Wars system: MGP already did something similar with ship scales with their Seas of Blood supplement, so the idea is already OGL.

Wyvern

Explorer
Re: Re: Ship Size Naming Convention

kingpaul said:
Personally, I say stick with the DragonStar naming convention, as it is OGC, and StarWars is not.
If you're concerned about what's OGC, keep two things in mind: first, the system I described in my alpha rules is not identical to the Star Wars system, and secondly, I came up with it of my own accord. It's not based on Star Wars in any way (I don't think I'd even seen the starship size chart in the SW rulebook at the time I wrote my rules). Hence, I don't think you need to worry about it. I'm just as entitled to create OGC as any publisher, and if a rule I come up with independently happens to resemble a rule in a non-OGL product, so what?

Wyvern

kingpaul

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Ship Size Naming Convention

Wyvern said:
If you're concerned about what's OGC, keep two things in mind: first, the system I described in my alpha rules is not identical to the Star Wars system, and secondly, I came up with it of my own accord. It's not based on Star Wars in any way (I don't think I'd even seen the starship size chart in the SW rulebook at the time I wrote my rules). Hence, I don't think you need to worry about it. I'm just as entitled to create OGC as any publisher, and if a rule I come up with independently happens to resemble a rule in a non-OGL product, so what?

Wyvern
Yes, you are entitled to create OGC. Just the way the poll question was worded led me to believe that you were using the SW ship sizes as a foundation, and were not using something independently created.

Remove ads