• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shooting into a Grapple - Penalties?

Infiniti2000

First Post
azhrei_fje said:
I would think so. Taking the -20 penalty that only a single creature involved in the grapple is "not grappling"; all the others still are. I fail to see any logic in giving them a benefit without having them take the penalty.
I see what you're getting at, but I was thinking that the -20 was a big enough penalty. Keep in mind that it might work both ways, though much less often in the grappled creature's favor (how many beneficial ray spells are there, for instance?).

Thanks for the responses, it does help. After reading your responses and the links (again) and thinking about it, I've come to the following conclusions.

1. They don't share the same space, so despite the grappled creature "grappling" the one who isn't grappling should not be penalized for his advantage. Thus, in my example the spellcaster would not have a chance to hit the summoned monster.

2. The RotG are clear on this and I must agree. Moving into your opponent's space must mean sharing the space. The same ruling occurs similarly when using mounts.

3. I agree with you. There's nothing against it, so why not allow it? But, once we've decided to allow it we must come up with a mechanic. I think a simple opposed grapple check would suffice as the obvious mechanic.

Remove ads