• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skald - battle bard PrC

Kerrick

First Post
This is a bardic PrC designed for use with my variant bard (it has several different "paths" of bardic music, one of which is focused around combat-based songs). As you can see, it's only half-finished; I'd like to slot some other abilities related to the reverse effects at 2nd and 5th, but I'm drawing a blank. I might just give them fighter bonus feats and call it good.

Also, any ideas on more bardic music songs? I'd like to get 4 total. And yes, I know the DC and level for Song of Ferocity aren't listed - I want to get all the songs done first, then I can assign DCs and levels for them.

Skald

HD: d6.

Saves: Ref/Will good, Fort poor

WPs: Skalds are proficient with all simple weapons and three martial weapons of their choice, along with light and medium armor and shields.

1: Bardic music, bardic ability, +1 caster level
2: ???
3: Battlefield hymn (extra targets)
4: Bardic music, +1 caster level
5: Reverse effects (placeholder name)
6: Battlefield hymn (extend)
7: Bardic music, +1 caster level
8: ???
9: Battlefield hymn (empower)
10: Bardic music, +1 caster level

Bardic Ability: The Skald's class levels stack with his levels of bard for purposes of determining total bard level for bardic music effects.

Bardic Music:

Rousing Voice (Su): A Skald can revive a dying comrade by singing to him. The comrade is automatically stabilized (0 hit points) and rises the next round at 1 hp.

Song of Ferocity (Su): A Skald who makes a DC xx Perform check can incite one or more of his allies into a berserker rage. This ability functions exactly like the barbarian rage on one willing ally within 30 feet, and lasts as long as the Skald continues to sing (the ally must be able to hear the Skald; if it can no longer hear, or the Skald stops singing, the effect ends the next round). For every three class levels above xx, he can affect one additional ally.

Song of ferocity is a mind-affecting affect.

Battlefield Hymn (Ex): A Skald's ability with inspirational bardic music is such that he gains extra benefits when using the inspire courage, inspire greatness, inspire heroics, or inspire valor songs, as noted below.

At 3rd level, the Skald can affect 1 extra target per three class levels (which can be himself or another person).

At 6th level, the amount of time each effect lasts if a person leaves the area of effect is increased to 10 rounds.

At 9th level, the base bonus for saves vs. charm and fear effect (inspire courage), attack and damage (inspire greatness, heroics, valor) is doubled to +4.

Reverse Effect (Ex): At 5th level, a Skald can apply the effects of his battlefield hymns to his enemies – in reverse. That is, any benefits that he would normally give to his allies would become penalties to his foes. These reverse effects are often referred to as inspire fear (reversed courage), weakness (greatness), or cowardice (heroism or valor). He cannot affect allies and enemies at the same time with the same song – when he sings, he must choose which group to affect. All other criteria for the songs remain the same.

Remove ads