• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skill Synergy for Modern/Future

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Hello DM, GM, and players of tabletop gaming.

Most everyone know of Skill Synergy, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#skillSynergy, of which for every 5 ranks in skill A gives a +2 small bonus to a relative skill B.

Sadly for modern and future campaigns there is no list to consult and it is my hope with some help to come up with a similar list for Modern and Future games.

To start off here is

Disable Device - Demolitions

Last edited:

AnimeSniper

Explorer
As with the previously mentioned link

Bluff- Diplomacy, Disguise, Gamble, Intimidate, Investigate?

Balance- Climb, Jump, Tumble

Concentration- Computer Use [Hacking], Craft [All], Decipher Script, Drive, Demolitions, Disable Device, Disguise, Gamble, Gather Information, Investigate, Listen, Navigate [Seacraft], Pilot, Read/Write Language, Repair, Research, Survival, Treat Injury, Sense Motive, Move Silently,

Craft- Appraise, Barter [Apocalypse Games], Repair [Chemical, Electronic, Mechanical, Structural], Demolitions [Chemical, Electronic, Mechanical, Structural], Disable Device [Chemical, Electronic, Mechanical, Structural], Computer Use [Visual Art], Read/Write Language [Writing]

Escape Artist- Use Rope, Bindings

Handle Animal- Ride, Survival

Jump- Tumble, Balance, Climb

Knowledge- Work in Progress

Also, positive criticism, suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Last edited:

MechaPilot

Explorer
I don't have a lot of time at the moment (I have a research project due on Monday), but I'll give some limited input now.

I don't really see Concentration as giving a synergy bonus. Concentration, to me, seems like a skill you would use to avoid a penalty for being distracted instead of gaining a bonus.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
First thanks for your prompt reply and back to the grindstone on your project

Initially when I wrote this up with the Concentration in mind I was torn between the two from SRD and MSRD version and my thoughts were along the lines of when the party is in a situation where the player with aforementioned associated skills I listed is under fire or pressure and to avoid with the Craft Skills of getting distracted while they attempt the DC... wouldn't want to blow up the lab or create a noxious chemical fog that kills everyone when PC 4 barges in stating the pizza is delivered.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Also, I've been wondering on the application of 3.5e or later editions of the Skills found in the D&D iterations i.e. Open Lock and other trained skills for example

MechaPilot

Explorer
First thanks for your prompt reply and back to the grindstone on your project

No problem. I am able to take small breaks here and there, so I'll be able to sprinkle some small thoughts when I do.

Initially when I wrote this up with the Concentration in mind I was torn between the two from SRD and MSRD version and my thoughts were along the lines of when the party is in a situation where the player with aforementioned associated skills I listed is under fire or pressure and to avoid with the Craft Skills of getting distracted while they attempt the DC... wouldn't want to blow up the lab or create a noxious chemical fog that kills everyone when PC 4 barges in stating the pizza is delivered.

That really sounds like a saving throw type of situation to me, but I can see what you mean. I might just say that anyone who has 5+ ranks in Concentration either won't suffer a distraction penalty to a task or will suffer a reduced penalty. The main reason why I wouldn't go with a synergy bonus from Concentration is that, as I see it, literally everything you do can benefit from focusing or concentrating on it while you do it, and providing a synergy bonus to everything is a little OP.

I also had a thought regarding Bluff giving a synergy bonus to Investigation. According to the d20 Modern SRD, found here, Investigate is not an interpersonal skill. Rather, it's a search-like skill. If any skill should grant a synergy bonus to Investigate, I think it should be Search and not Bluff.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Good point so I'll switch Investigate over with Search and true you can concentrate on anything so I'll consult with my groups rotation of DM's for their input... maybe allow for a +1 instead or only in situations where they must hurry or be discovered.

kronos182

Adventurer
As with the previously mentioned link

Bluff- Diplomacy, Disguise, Gamble, Intimidate, Investigate?

Balance- Climb, Jump, Tumble

Concentration- Computer Use [Hacking], Craft [All], Decipher Script, Drive, Demolitions, Disable Device, Disguise, Gamble, Gather Information, Investigate, Listen, Navigate [Seacraft], Pilot, Read/Write Language, Repair, Research, Survival, Treat Injury, Sense Motive, Move Silently,

Craft- Appraise, Barter [Apocalypse Games], Repair [Chemical, Electronic, Mechanical, Structural], Demolitions [Chemical, Electronic, Mechanical, Structural], Disable Device [Chemical, Electronic, Mechanical, Structural], Computer Use [Visual Art], Read/Write Language [Writing]

Escape Artist- Use Rope, Bindings

Handle Animal- Ride, Survival

Jump- Tumble, Balance, Climb

Knowledge- Work in Progress

Also, positive criticism, suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Knowledge - Crafts (use common sense for related crafts.. like earth and life sciences for chemical/pharmaceuticals, physical sciences for craft structures/weapons/armour, blah blah, tactics for crafting fortifications/traps, demolitions, there pairings just use common sense).

Listen - Disable Device for cracking safes or picking locks.

Move Silently - this can be used in intimidation attempts (like suddenly appearing all menacing from the shadows).

Bluff - forgery

Survival - Swim or Climb.. identify undertoes (spelling?), swells, strong currents, or safe paths for climbing, know that those vines on the side of the mountain are rooted enough to use for climbing, or where NOT to anchor a piton to and have it come out on you.

knowledge: tactics or physical sciences - demolitions, know best place to place an explosive

Knowledge: technology - demolitions, know where to place an explosive to disable a device/vehicle/ship/mech for disabling without destroying it or make look like some kind of mechanical failure.

Remove ads